Timing Chips - I amertain this has been covered before!

Mark_48

Hi Guy's, relative nooby to all the "bling, ching & tassels" regarding cycling & all the procedures, do's, dont's & cant's, but can some one please tell me the difference between the following chips or race timing companies.

Race Tech

Champion Chip

Performance Timing

What chips can be used where, I have both Race Tech (from 94.7, my first), Champion Chip (Midvaal 100), I want to do the Powerade Christmas 2012 Challenge, & they are using "Performance Timing", is there another chip required?

Thanks in advance

Hi Guy's, relative nooby to all the "bling, ching & tassels" regarding cycling & all the procedures, do's, dont's & cant's, but can some one please tell me the difference between the following chips or race timing companies.

Race Tech Racetec

Champion Chip

Performance Timing

What chips can be used where, I have both Race Tech (from 94.7, my first), Champion Chip (Midvaal 100), I want to do the Powerade Christmas 2012 Challenge, & they are using "Performance Timing", is there another chip required?

Thanks in advance

Racetec - www.racetec.co.za were previously know as Winning Time. They use the yellow (older), or orange (newer chips). Events like 94.7, Cape Argus use them

Championchip - www.championchip.co.za - They use the round green chip. The do the timing for Comrades as well. Runners seem to have a blue chip.

Chips from each of these companies are not recognised by the other in events that they time. Championchip even had(still have?) an interdict against Racetec preventing them from recognising their chips on Racetec events.

Performance Timing? Never heard of them, although there is a UKS based www.performancetiming.com

Edited by robox

Depends who they pay to do the timing at the events. MTB up here is mostly SS timing with the chips embedded in the number boards, but while back it was these silly chips.

Just don't get them mixed up like I have done a few times, most recently this Sunday on the 94.7 Confusion comes in since I have a Winning Time not a Racetec and not a great memory for words. But I emailed Racetec my Garmin 500 report for the event and they kindly added my result, which was quite a relief since it was a PB.

Right, @OP, the organiser of the Powerade Challenge mailed me, you don't need a chip, he says it's "number scanning"...

• 6 months later...

I'm trying to track down details for Performance Timing, I can't work out where they are based? They seem to do a lot of the Gauteng events, but there's no contact details for them anywhere?

you forgot digitime, great time, spectrumsports - circus.

just use the one that is listed as the timing company for the race you are entering.

Performance Timing is not a Chip event. I've riden in such an event and all this is, is a couple of people standing at the finish line checking your number as you pass.

Performance Timing is not a Chip event. I've riden in such an event and all this is, is a couple of people standing at the finish line checking your number as you pass.

Do you know where to get results from Performance Timing, they don't seem to have a website?

Do you know where to get results from Performance Timing, they don't seem to have a website?

Generally these events are held from a particular landmark, such as hotels, or lodges or some place. They mostly have an agreement with these places to post the results on their websites (as they don't have one of their own as you mentioned)

Also, only the long races will have their results uploaded...

If there were a 80km & 40km event for instance, only the 80km race will have their results uploaded