Brakes shrieking and shuddering

lerouc

Hi

I have an entry level GT avalanche and since about 2 months ago I have had issues with my back brakes. Tektro brakes.

I was told to have it bled as that is why it is not working properly. I took it into a LBS and they bled it (so they say) but the brake lever was still very loose. After getting home I took the bike for a spin around the lawn and since then when I pull my back brake it makes an extremely loud shriek noise and it gives a shudder on the bike. So much so that my cadence sensor came loose on the frame. I took it back to the shop they said it was because there were soap or something after the cleaning on the brakes. They cleaned and off home I went. Got home same story over took it back and they “cleaned” it again and the owner of the shop (small 5kg guy) rode the bike and all is well. So off home I go again and guess what still same story, by now kicking myself for not riding the bike at the shop back I go. The owner tells me that this is how the brakes work for a big guy like me it does not stop you dead in the tracks. Even offered me to ride one of the expensive bikes but all shy I said no thanks and tail between the legs I go off home.

But it still bugged me because I ride my bike often and I can’t think that I was that paranoid. The sound was almost completely gone but my brakes still weren’t 100% according to me.

The next day was a MTB event and luckily one of the other LBS had a small stand at the race and they quickly had a look at took the brake pads out and it was completely smooth. They said that that was my issue and they popped in a other pair of second hand pads they had lying around (for free I might add!) and off I went without issue, except my levers still only took way pulled in and they said it must just be bled.

So 2-3 weeks ago I took the bike in again (to the shop that helped me at the event) and they bled the brakes and now my lever is working 100% again.

I haven’t been on my bike since as I am training for the burger on my road bike. I saw one of the guys at the shop last weekend and he was asking how my bike was and I said I haven’t really been on it again. So earlier this week I took it out for a spin on the farm and there the noise and shudder is back. It really sounds like something is going to break off or something.

What can be causing this? I want to take it back to the shop tomorrow but I don’t want to look like a complete twat, maybe it is something I can sort out myself?

Thanks for the help,

Cobus

Sounds like oil contamination on the pads. 2 options:

1. Search the tech section. Plenty of advice on how to sort this out.

2. Find a new LBS. I see you're in The West, so try William's. Actually, with what your current mechanic told you, do this even if you do decide to sort the brakes yourself.

You have two options here, as most tectro brakes have this problem:

• Change the rotors, and
  • Have them put Shimano deore resin pads in.

Tectro brakes are normally metal pads, specially entry level bikes.

Should solve the issue.

Clean your rotors with isopropyl alcohol, you can get it at your local chemist. Clean pads with IPA as well, then sand them down on some fine waterpaper. As an optional extra, heat them up with a heat gun or blowtorch (not too much, you don't want to cook them - just burn any remaining oil off.)

Going forward, don't get any oil on your pads or rotors. This goes as far as not touching them with your fingers - the amount of oil you'll transfer doing that is enough to make your brakes squeal.

I have replaced the rotors with xt rotors a long time ago, but ill give the pads a cleaning and check it out.

Thanks.