2012 Coronation Double Century

CycleTourMediaOffice

The 20th Coronation Double Century team cycle challenge is taking place in Swellendam today, Saturday 24 November. The top teams are currently battling it out for top honours over the 202km route, under windy and cold conditions.

All 230 teams are off, with top contenders being team NuWater, Focus / Craft and Aurecon in the male category, Vodacom Ladies, Velocity Sports Lab Ladies and Coroangels in the female category, and team Mr Price KZN in the mixed category.

Glad im watching the cricket today and not on a bike - weather is horrible. Actually we are getting hammered

weather is horrible, cricket is terrible....

Latest update from the route is that Team NuWater has passed fellow contenders Team Focus / Craft after 40kms and are currently 3 minutes ahead. Rain has started falling so it's going to be a challenging 202kms!

My good friend in cycling and proud to be his partner in the 2013 ABSA Cape Epic, Johann le Roux, is the only cyclist to have done all 20 DC's! He is riding today with Hermanus Pharmacies. He deserves a big bottoms up!!!!!!!

My good friend in cycling and proud to be his partner in the 2013 ABSA Cape Epic, Johann le Roux, is the only cyclist to have done all 20 DC's! He is riding today with Hermanus Pharmacies. He deserves a big bottoms up!!!!!!!

He's a legend. We'll give him a special mention when he crosses the finish line!

He's a legend. We'll give him a special mention when he crosses the finish line!

Race update pls

Most teams have left Ashton neutral zone and are heading toward finish line. So far, team NuWater have the lead (men's) and Vodacom Ladies are setting the pace for the ladies. While rain has stopped, the wind has picked up and there is a strong headwind on the road from Ashton to Robertson.

All and all it does not sound like a pleasant day on the bike. That is bad news. I feel for them.