Single Speed Question

Heel Drop

Hi I am trying to work out what the second cable is in the picture

I can see the cable to the Brakes on the left , but on the right there is a cable runnig to the back ( which is not the brake cable ) so what is it for since it does not have shifters its a single speed.

by the way awsome frame thinking I might buy this to build my first SS 299 GBP frame only

post-36234-0-20674700-1354453554_thumb.jpg

cool thanks I gathered that after checking the hubs on CRC and I saw one with a description - did not know they exist - interresting

So my next question would be what hub should I use on the back for a SS? It seems like the skewer type in not ideal ( I may be wrong) but I see ones that are fastened differently ( bolts and nut type or bolts one both ends )

post-36234-0-50516600-1354455506_thumb.jpg

Here is a better sample

You could use one of these but then you'd need the correct spanner with you to fix punctures etc. Guys use these on horizontal dropouts as they tighten up better than QRs. A simpler option, that would suit your multitool, would be to run a QR hub and use chain tugs. These should come with a horizontal dropout frame.

Out of interest... Judging by all the questions, you're new the World of SS. Are you sure you want to dive in with a dedicated SS frame? I know its all the rage right now but theres loads of okes building SS rigs and I reckon not even a third actually continue using them. You may be better off doing a conversion on a current bike or doing a cheaper build just to see what all fun is about before getting a hardcore dedicated rig... Just my 2c...

Edited by Ryanpmb

You could use one of these but then you'd need the correct spanner with you to fix punctures etc. Guys use these on horizontal dropouts as they tighten up better than QRs. A simpler option, that would suit your multitool, would be to run a QR hub and use chain tugs. These should come with a horizontal dropout frame.

Out of interest... Judging by all the questions, you're new the World of SS. Are you sure you want to dive in with a dedicated SS frame? I know its all the rage right now but theres loads of okes building SS rigs and I reckon not even a third actually continue using them. You may be better off doing a conversion on a current bike or doing a cheaper build just to see what all fun is about before getting a hardcore dedicated rig... Just my 2c...

First SS is often built from what's left lying around from your bike bits and what you can beg or borrow which is a cheap way of seeing if you like SS, before deciding to build a dedicated SS

First SS is often built from what's left lying around from your bike bits and what you can beg or borrow which is a cheap way of seeing if you like SS, before deciding to build a dedicated SS

That's what I'm saying!... It's almost like a 'must do' before the 29r steel EBB frame ;)