No CSA license covered by PPA membership for 99er

walkerr

You don`t have to be a member of a club anymore. You can get your 2013 CSA license for only R75. I went to their site and paid via EFT. After this I just mailed them the proof of payment and asked to activate my license. A little hickup when my status said "Awaiting club confirmation", I just mailed them again and told them no club membership required anymore, and they set my license to active.

And most years they just send you a licence anyway when you apply. Whether you pay or not. So disorganised. I licensed myself years ago to get a preferred start at the K2C when the wa pad was a wa pad and not the super smooth highway it is now. Meant starting in the 1st batch and causing others to walk rather than walking because of them. Huge value for the money.

In actual fact, when you enter a race you put in your CSA number and EVERY organiser accepts that it is a valid number.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need an organisation to organise cycling in SA

Agreed - the PPA have done an OK job in the WC for years though, so why do we need to belong to two now? (three if you include your local club membership)

The races are organised with CSA the overriding body, therefore if you don't belong to them, you don't get money.

Just my point the CSA is just an oversight body - not 100% they organise any actual events, thyey just take money of the top, and for what?. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I phoned cycle events about the csa license. Told them I was trying to enter but could not get pass the CSA license part. Another friend of mine managed to enter without problems. They manually entered me, I just had to pay. Which was also problematic, as I didnt get a confirmation email. There seems to be problems with the system.

Suggestion:

1) Call cycle events and enter - explain the problem (011 707 4716)

2) Pay the fee via online entries

3) Check racetec if you are entered.

The 99er is a wonderful race through Durbanville and surrounds. It might look expensive, but as far as I understand, it's actualy a non-profit race. You must understand everything that goes into organising a big race like that.

Fact is, everything is getting more expensive. Your father told you that and I'll probably tell my kids, "you know, back in 2013 we only paid R300 for the 99er" and the kiddies will sit and listen in awe.

At least you still have a choice - you don't have to do it.

So think of the positives you actually get out of the race!

I agree on all of the above - but what does CSA actually add to the event, apart from a R35 cost? I have no issue with the price for the event itself, or the quality of the event. But CSA's tax on it? Hmmmm, that makes me less happy with no clear understanding how that money helps improve cycling in SA or future events

I don`t have a problem paying R75 for an annual license to CSA. What I have a problem with is that PPA never reduced their fees after the CSA license started being excluded in their membership, I have a feeling they just upped their prices and hoped nobody will notice/complain about the CSA license exclusion.

I can't find the original article right now - but essentially as I understand it, the CSA were happy to let the PPA run events in the WC for years. Trouble is, PPA run them well and are financially viable, whereas the CSA are yey another sporting body bailed out regularly by the government. At some stage last year they gave the PPA an ultimatum, let us take you over, members, finances and all, or we'll revoke inclusion of your members as having CSA day licenses with rides. The PPA rightly told them that was unacceptable, and they split.

CSA don't organise events, they don't even time them, racetec does that - they don't do the seedings either, PPA and racetec do that too (depending on what the event is). So I have no idea wat the R35 license is apart from being a tax on cyclists.

As noted - the above is my understanding - I could be wrong!

You are way off.

SASCOC decided that sporting bodies could only be made up of provincial members and PPA is not a provincial member.

ITO the CSA constitution though PPA had certain rights as it was PPA money paying the bills. CSA decided to comply with SASCOC ruling (to stay as the recoginsed governing body of cycling) and changed the constitution without informing PPA and taking PPA's legal rights into account but wanted to keep PPA's money.

PPA said ggf and withdrew totally from CSA.

It comes down to, are you a racer of a funrider? If you want to race, pay, if you want to talk k@k go do a coffee ride 4 free wink.png

How does that affect anything? I can ride or race in a PPA event without paying the CSA their tax on the sport I enjoy. There's plenty of places to find out how to give CSA their money, but few on what we actually get back for it - not events, or timing, or seeding, or even cycling safety programmes (all of which the PPA do for their money).

Edited by walkerr

You are way off.

SASCOC decided that sporting bodies could only be made up of provincial members and PPA is not a provincial member.

ITO the CSA constitution though PPA had certain rights as it was PPA money paying the bills. CSA decided to comply with SASCOC ruling (to stay as the recoginsed governing body of cycling) and changed the constitution without informing PPA and taking PPA's legal rights into account but wanted to keep PPA's money.

Thanks for the correction - was aware I hadn't got the full story straight

You are way off.

`

Thanks

It comes down to, are you a racer of a funrider? If you want to race, pay, if you want to talk k@k go do a coffee ride 4 free wink.png

Pansie, jy het nie 'n koffie ride nodig om k@k te praat nie! clap.gif

Spoken like a true fun rider! Welcome back to The Hub pansy...

I can't find the original article right now - but essentially as I understand it, the CSA were happy to let the PPA run events in the WC for years. Trouble is, PPA run them well and are financially viable, whereas the CSA are yey another sporting body bailed out regularly by the government. At some stage last year they gave the PPA an ultimatum, let us take you over, members, finances and all, or we'll revoke inclusion of your members as having CSA day licenses with rides. The PPA rightly told them that was unacceptable, and they split.

CSA don't organise events, they don't even time them, racetec does that - they don't do the seedings either, PPA and racetec do that too (depending on what the event is). So I have no idea wat the R35 license is apart from being a tax on cyclists.

As noted - the above is my understanding - I could be wrong!

you'r wrong

So, can anybody get any info on what the CSA do with our money?

http://gosouthonline.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Zuma-Nkandla-550.jpg

Edited by Berg Bok