Only in SA

dfm1

What a great country we live in, that is if you live on the wrong side of the law or have the right political connects.

Let your company screw up the countries economy by not planning properly to meet the countries energy demand -  Consequence, you and your fellow cronie directors receive R57 million in bonuses over a three year period.

You rape / (have not so consecial sex) a HIV positive wowan young enough to be your daughter and then accept bribes from the shaik brothers - Consequence, you get elected to the presidency of the ruling party.

You win both the road race and the Time trail in the SA Champs - You don't get picked for the SA squad to go to world champs

You take the countries battered rugby side and turn them into world champs in four years - You get replaced by a far less expierienced coach with beter political connections.

Moral of the story

To get ahead in SA you must be ......

1. Irresponsible and not accountable for anything you do

2. Accept brides

3. Have showers to prevent AIDS

4. Have the right political friends

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And bitching and moaning is gonna accomplish what?

Make me feel better for not just sitting down and taking it, atleast by voicing my opinion I am getting some vaseline to go with being F$#^ed over the whole time Cry

Moral of the story

To get ahead in SA you must be ......

1. Irresponsible and not accountable for anything you do

2. Accept bridesQuestionLOL

3. Have showers to prevent AIDS

4. Have the right political friends

You have a valid point. Its just wrong what goes on in SA.

Napalm, I think that is half of the problem in SA. Nobody ever complains enough. If it were most civilized countries in the world, the people would have voiced up and complained till something was done about it. Not SA. Were too afraid of putting someones nose out of joint.

My opinion is this, whatever way you look at it, its only taken a few years for affirmative action to destroy the country.

Eskoms big deals need to come to my practice to explain to my patients why I cant treat them due to power cuts.

Its a frigging disgrace...and to recieve a R13 million bonus?!?! WTF? I truly hope SA lose the World Cup...and if they dont, I am starting my own business selling Body Bags to the airlines for 2010.

i'm not going to rant too much - just gonna copy and paste from TB what happened to one of my friends...

This happened this week to my wife and i, i think it is worth sharing.

On thursday, we went to sort some official stuff out, including replacing my wife's license card, which had gone missing, we assume the baby got it, alhough we have looked everywhere without luck.

After being told that they had no record of her, she produced the origional temp license, outdated of course, but evidence that she had a license. At that point it was declared that the license was a fake, and the police were called, and she was arrested. It seems that the blank temp copy had origionally been stolen in Bisho. This was around 2 PM.

From there, they took her to Florida SAPS. Some paperwork was completed, and she was taken to the cells. At 4 my brother who is a lawyer arrived at the station, and attempted to get clarity on the situation, and apply for bail. From that point on, nothing happened. All that was lacking was for her to be charged with a crime, or released pending investigation. Only the arresting officer or a detective could charge her, the arresting officer had gone home, and Florida SAPS apparently has no resident detective. We called every single number on the walls, for the station commisioner to the detective on duty (none) and every other "help number" available. Every person we spoke with admitted that the situation seemed unreasonable, and that they would get back to us, no-one did, and after trying some numbers again, they just rang out.

A detective who was at the station was asked to assist, but declined due to "jurisdiction". Eventually at about 11 PM, a detective arrived to assess the situation, and after conferring with someone on the telephone, advised that she would not charge her, and that she would be held pending investigation in the morning.

When morning came, this detective went around collecting evidence, and by 2PM we were in front of a judge, who released her without needing bail. She has been charged with fraud, which i believe legally is the incorrect charge.

There are many questions about how this came about, very few that i can answer, all i can do is assess the facts:

1) At some point at Langlaagte testing station, illegalities occured.
2) My wife was unwittingly a victim of these crimes.
3) She was arrested and held without being charged overnight, without the option of gaining bail.
4) The police used the jackboot of justice on her, utterly merciless, and treated her as if she was guilty.

Now we are finding the best lawyers, my brother's law firm has already pledged to assist us, i believe this will eventually go away afetr a lot of money.

Whatever the outcome of the trial, we are suiing just about everyone involved, because of the way this has been handled. My wife is not a criminal, and in fact is a very soft person. The trauma inflicted by the police is inhuman. The first thing that was given her was coffee the next morning, despite having been in custody since 2 the previous day. The at various points denied her food, drink and blankets, and even denied her lawyer permission to see her. The captain (a woman) at the police station refused to speak to him, in front of all in the charge office. Vivienne could not even drink water, because there was blood on the cup. There was blood everywhere apparently, and she could see evidence on the walls of where people had their heads smashed against the walls, the bloodmarks were everywhere she looked. While we were at the station, they ignorwed her completely, but apparently after we left, they opened the door and checked on her every half hour. She thought they were bneing nice, but since she was alone i think they were keeping her from any sleep, not that she would have anyway.

The next morning i was denied permission to see her, and did not until the court appearance. I could rail on more, so much so bad, so many things that were done wrong.

I really need to thank the TB people who assisted, calling and visiting while some were trying to get her out. We are both aso traumatised by this, but could not have got through without phenomenal support from family and friends.

By the way, my wife turned 30, yesterday in that blood stained cell. It was her birthday.

Holy crap. Thats shocking. But believable.

"To protect and serve"...hardly the case.

Whoever that was, I hope they get every penny.

I'm now really starting to get fed up with this bitching and moaning about the state of the country! To begin with, the people who are now in power were given an F!@%# up country to start off with  that was on the brink of a civil war.

Now I agree that we are not doing fantastic right now, but bitching and moaning does not solve anything. Tell yourself enough times that you are no good, and you'll start believing it.

I guess it's time to dust yourself off..  pick up your bike and ride it...

EM, on one hand I do agree, but on the other, some of the "powers that be" have a general corrupt state of mind.  I can bet you if the people that SP posted about gave the Metro cops a few R1000 the lady would've been off. 

You cant ride it Eezymiles, its gonna get stolen from underneath you..

There is nothing wrong with moaning, I think it needs to be done more. Because we are letting them get away with it.

We may have been F#&*ed up when it was given over, but it had order. Now its a shambles, and even worse than before.

From the Mail and Guardian:

Anti-apartheid campaigner rejects SA award
A New Zealand anti-apartheid campaigner has rejected a nomination for a South African award, saying he is dismayed over conditions in the country. John Minto was the national coordinator of the Halt All Racist Tours movement, and said black South Africans were now "worse off than they were under minority rule".

And shutting up and stewing does even less than moaning. At least when you speak out there is a chance of something happening - albeit a small chance.

We cant stick our heads in the sand and pretend that all is fine and dandy, My income is reduced due to Eskom, my safety is compromised due to the SAPS, the health service is a joke and things are getting worse. I cant accept this situation - no reasonable person should

eezymiles, EXCUSE ME?!?!?!??!?!?!?! so just because she is white she should "just accept" being treated the way she was and being charged with fraud?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?! you saying we should all just accept being robbed, raped and murdered?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? you poor poor person thinking this way!

Exactly Foe Fighter. Thats my point exactly.

Something needs to be done, and sitting idly by will achieve nothing.

What was the line in the movie V For Vendetta...

"People should not fear their governments, Governments should fear their people"