Gear & Brake Cables

Jason

I was just wondering... The cable within the housing, do you need to lube it? Both gear and braking cables, if so, what is the best?

You can, but then you need to do it regularly as it collects more dust. WD40 is the easiest to get down there (flush it).

Seriously.

The bigboys will tell you no.  Lube attracks dust and crap that will only get the performance down.

Should it start getting sticky, replace.

OK.......hierdie post is oop vir abuse!  GO FOR IT!!  Big%20smile

Hey dude.....amper s? ek iets.

But you and me....we have a rep to uphold......Big%20smile

LOL... Man, in the "Only in SA" thread you post such an intelligent post... you come here and post k@k , jy weet... but you right... we have a rep to uphold... Now help me! Wil my draad lube Big%20smile

Jason, just personal experience here. I have found that with the original factory cables and housings they do not collect dirt and will function for months. Eventually though they start to stick and then when you clean and relube them they very quickly stick again after only a few weeks. For the price of a cbale set it is worth just replacing every 6 months or so.

However, I know you have that fancy stuff so not sure in your case, does it use a standard inner cable or is that also some hi-tech material? Why not mail the manufacturers?

Thanks IanJ, was hoping you would mail them for me and then come back here and say do this... Just  kidding ol chap, will try them. The material is different so I'll see...

Thanks IanJ' date=' was hoping you would mail them for me and then come back here and say do this... Just  kidding ol chap, will try them. The material is different so I'll see...[/quote']

If it is a teflon inner I would imagine you would just strip and clean. Teflon is self lubricating. That's why your eggs don't stick in the frying pan Tongue.

You can' date=' but then you need to do it regularly as it collects more dust. WD40 is the easiest to get down there (flush it).[/quote']

Please remember WD- 40 is a solvent and NOT a lubricant. If your housings are gummed up so much, do not flush it, rather junk it and get new ones.

They normally do not need lubricant but I am a creature of habit and lightly smear a very thin coating of Park grease on the cable.

I think Jagwire makes a teflon coated cable. Has anybody used them and is there an advantage?

Is Q20 a lubricant or a solvent??????.... cannot really remember.

Get yourself true Shimano outers and XTR cables. The outers are teflon lined and the cables aswell. And the cables are a really cool black.

This reminds me of one of my all time favorite posts on MTBR regarding the use od hydraulics on  a bike....."Hydraulics are schmoooooooove....using cables is like pulling barbed wire out of a badger's ass"

Dont lube them, it will just attract dirt. I just unclip the cables slide the outers along and wipe them with a dry cloth, keeps them pretty smooth.

This reminds me of one of my all time favorite posts on MTBR regarding the use od hydraulics on  a bike....."Hydraulics are schmoooooooove....using cables is like pulling barbed wire out of a badger's ass"

LOL LOL  LOL LOL LOL Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Reminds be of a saying "If you can't pull a rabbit out of a hat you might as well pull a hare/hair out your ass".
Gnarly2008-01-30 01:05:15

Hey there,

from my experience i generaly agree rather just clean, or replace if cables get sticky.

Another little trick i have used over the years when i have the patients, is melt a little candle wax on the inner cable before sliding it into the housing. Its dry so does not attract dirt and seems to last awhile,  its a similar concept to the teflon inner housings on some of the higher end cables.

Enjoy

DTongue