Which cycle computer

Mo2010

So I want to get a cycle computer for my mountain bike. Would you suggest wired or wireless? What is the cheapest wireless computer out there?

how much do you want to spend? and what functionality are you looking for?

Just something that will read my speed and distance, dont need much more

if you want something basic look at the cateye velo 6/8 - wired around R200-R300 those things are bullet proof.

if you want to use it on different bikes you need a wireless. extra sensors etc...

as smartie said above, the garmins are the business - they use gps so no additional sensors etc...

i upgraded to a garmin 500 w HR monitor a while back and couldnt be happier - im a number nerd though,so its nice to have all the gadgets in one unit - use it with strava/ rubitracks etc... its great cos i can just take the unit and pop it onto whatever bike im using.

but ja , if you just want the basics and its staying on one bike, no need for wireless.

Edited by Audible Anarchy

if you want something basic look at the cateye velo 6/8 - wired around R200-R300 those things are bullet proof.

if you want to use it on different bikes you need a wireless. extra sensors etc...

as smartie said above, the garmins are the business - they use gps so no additional sensors etc...

i upgraded to a garmin 500 w HR monitor a while back and couldnt be happier - im a number nerd though,so its nice to have all the gadgets in one unit - use it with strava/ rubitracks etc... its great cos i can just take the unit and pop it onto whatever bike im using.

but ja , if you just want the basics and its staying on one bike, no need for wireless.

Cool thanks, will have a look at the Cateye, anything Garmin is a bit out of my price range.

Cheapest wireless I know of would be the Cateye Vectra, @ R390.

http://www.cwcycles....reless-computer

The Cateye Velo's are decent as well, but only have 5 to 7 functions, which it sounds like is all you need.

Sportmans Warehouse has the Atom which I think is cheaper. Bought one for my daughters bike, although I think it may be wired.

Could I use anything for a MTB though? The reason I ask is that I got a second hand wired computer from my bro, but the instructions said to get the magnet within 2mm of the sensor, seemed inpossible to me, ended up breaking the clip for the magnet

I bought a wireless for my indoor trainer from Sportsmans Warehouse (their own brand), cheap, easy to use and does the job.

Hi. I bought a Ryder Razor computer yesterday at City Cycles for R175. Dont know if the brand is any good but it works good and has 17 functions.

Could I use anything for a MTB though? The reason I ask is that I got a second hand wired computer from my bro, but the instructions said to get the magnet within 2mm of the sensor, seemed inpossible to me, ended up breaking the clip for the magnet

I had the same problem with my very first mtb because the gap between the shock and spokes is bigger than on a road bike.

I used an additional piece of rubber as a spacer and then cable ties.

The wireless Velo's have a larger pickup unit so you can face it in more, which does make life easier on a mtb.

I had the same problem with my very first mtb because the gap between the shock and spokes is bigger than on a road bike.

I used an additional piece of rubber as a spacer and then cable ties.

The wireless Velo's have a larger pickup unit so you can face it in more, which does make life easier on a mtb.

Cool, thought I was doing something wrong

Really much easier with wireless if you can manage it. Much less hassle with twisty wires down the cables and fork.

put the sensor as low down on the fork as possible close to the hub or wrap some inner tube or something around the fork to get it closer to the spokes if need be