Which local airline with bike?

stringbean

Not Mango from my experience. Our cardboard boxes didn't survive the trip to durban. Mine had a half circle slice on it (must have been something sharp, lucky bike wasn't damanged. My dads box have the one corner smashed and various other holes in it.

Can't comment on Kulula, we bought Thule hard cases for the trip home (the one box wasn't reusable) so even if they tried, they couldn't damage the bikes.

I used SAA sporting goods = free baggage. Cardboard bike box with many "Fragile" stickers. Perfect, no problems.

Don't forget that the luggage handling (ground handling) isn't being done by the airlines themselves but other companies dedicated to such services.

So, in general, usually it's not the airlines fault if an item gets damaged during transport but the handling agent chosen by the airline for his service..

And then it comes down to the individual handling your item - he might have a bad day or simply be to weak to handle it and it gets damaged. If the person has a good day your box might come back out again with a small scent of roses and a smilie face drawn on the box.

If you want your bike safe pack it accordingly. If it still gets damaged you have a good reason to complain!

To met it's alawys more important