Last cyclist riding sufferfest

Tubehunter

A few of us semi sane cyclists have been toying with the idea of riding almost every climb on the peninsula and turning it into a ride of sorts. It looks like its time for the talk to finish and the rubber to hit the road!

The (amended) route will be as follows: It is 144kms with 2473m of ascent. This should make it slightly more feasible.

http://www.mapmyride.../view/162386270

Start VirginActive in Green Point > heading to town up to High Level Road and then on to Long Street

1- up Kloof road connecting with and over Kloofnek >

2- Down Glen Road to Victoria Road and up Geneva to Camps Bay Drive >

3- Down Camps Bay Drive to Victoria road and over Llandudno into Hout Bay >

4- Up Constantia Nek round the circle at the top and back down >

5- Over Chappies from Hout Bay side >

5- Left on Silvermine road towards OuKaapse but right at that junction back towards Sun Valley >

7- Over Black Hill >

8- Ride towards Simonstown and to the top of Red Hill >

8- Back down and up Naval Hill >

9- Through towards Kalk Bay and over Boyes Drive >

10- Left in Lakeside and over Ou Kaapse Weg >

11- Right towards Noorhoek and over Chappies again >

12- Suikerbossie >

13- Glen Road to the top of Signal Hill, across the circle and finish at the Cable Car station. (Roll back to VA)

The proposed date is the weekend of the 5th6th of Jan. Colliehond has indicated he will organise a backup vehicle for the day. I'm more inclined to ride on the 5th so that the 6th can be a recovery day as I'm sure many will probably be going back to work on the 7th, but as I'm on leave till much later, either day will work for me. (Collie please confirm which is better for you and MickeyMouse the backup driver!) Wheels will roll at 6am whichever day it is. It will be a long day in the saddle! The idea will be to roll together as much as we can, but still get a good effort in to try and finish the whole route. There is not going to be a specific average speed as it will be a survival ride and should scare almost everyone who is considering this. There will be multiple escape routes for those honest enough to know whether they have the legs on the day. The key thing to be aware of is that if you feel like you can't manage on the day please consider catching the train from SimonstownMuizenburg back to the CBD to get back to your vehicle.

If you are keen to join this madness please be prepared and consider the following:

- Bring along extra fluids and human fuel of some sort. (Some of this can go in the backup vehicle to top up)

- Mechanically sound bike and usual ride spares.

- Sunscreen. Yes, it will be a long day on the saddle.

- Some cash. Towards toll fees and backup vehicle fuel as well as escape options catching train and other drinks or eats.

- Properly rested and as ready as can be legs andor a sense of self honesty on the day.

- Prep someone to be your backup for the day for pickup along the way somewhere or even to fetch you at the finish as you will be!

Lets see who is interested and firm up the day and other logistics in the next 2 days and then start building a list of fellow crazies!

Edited by Tubehunter

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More of a reason to do it! (errr, give it a go...)

Would love to but gotta work unfortunately.

sounds like good attekwas training, what would the total distance be and what kind of riding time are you guys looking at?

I was doing nothing, still lying on the floor after yesterday so I decided to jump on google maps and work out the distance for the Sufferfest. Well, good thing there are escape routes. Roughly calculated, I could be wrong, out by a few kilometres. Maybe I should'nt say anything.

I was doing nothing, still lying on the floor after yesterday so I decided to jump on google maps and work out the distance for the Sufferfest. Well, good thing there are escape routes. Roughly calculated, I could be wrong, out by a few kilometres. Maybe I should'nt say anything.

Give it up, Cippo....

Give it up, Cippo....

Jy skrik mos vir niks.

ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY KILOMETRES, give or take.

Jy skrik mos vir niks.

ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY KILOMETRES, give or take.

Yoh!

But my real interest (read here concern) is the total ascent.

Edited by ' Dale

Guesstimate around 180 kays. Total ascent to be determined on the day. I'm sure someone must have the breakdown of the various climbs and their individual ascent (and perhaps even gradient) which I will total if I can get that. I imagine we'll be out on the road for around 7+ hours including refuel stops. We will do well to maintain an average above 22kmh as we progressively get slower on the climbs...

There are 4 obvious options to shorten the route with the most significant time win being to turn left after doing Red Hill missing out the Kommetjie and Slangkop piece. The others are the loop to the top of Constantia Nek, turning left at Fish Hoek before Boyes and skipping this and Ou Kaapse and the final piece being the final assault on the Glen, Signal and Cable Car stretch. But then the point of this ride is to attempt to finish it and it should be a shock to the senses! I'd be cool with dodging the Slangkop piece to make the ride more feasable from a time perspective as that's where the longest transition is before the next climb if everyone else wants to do it that way.