Ironman South Africa Race Rules

Garfield2010

Hi guys. Perhaps we can use this thread to discuss some of the rules for the full ironman.

I see the race guide is not out yet. Does anyone know if there is a special needs zone in which I am allowed to store bike parts consisting of the following:-

1.) extra tubes and bombs (if I puncture I would like to stock up for the next lap)

2.) extra wheel set. If I choose a disk wheel and the wind picks up, am I allowed to change the wheel after lap two for example? The pros have a car with wheels on the roof following them so what are we as amateurs supposed to do?

Also what happens if you puncture with a tubby? I know years back it was everyone for himself but now days you see mecs helping people change wheels etc.

Thx

As far as I remember:

1) Yes you can, however you only have access to your Special Needs bag once on the bike and anything you store in Special Needs is thrown away after the race.

2) You can change your wheels in transition on race morning before the start. As far as I know you have to finish the bike on the equipment you started. Also your wheels would not fit into the special needs bag your are allocated. I don't think the rules at IMSA are the same as the US IM where the pros have access to other wheels.

Most guys carry a spare "pre-glued" tubby, if you are stranded, the tech guys will give you another tubby, but you will receive a bill for it after the race. Paul Wolff is quite adamant about that. Tubes, and smaller items you might get for free.

Touch wood, my theory of carrying two tubes and two bombs has carried me through two IMSA puncture-free....

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Pros at IM don't have any cars following them. The closest is a tech area, which you can also use, amd there is a roaming tech-van which does help out. as per flyguysa above, you will pay for spares after. you can't change wheels etc, or your frame. You certainly don't need extra wheels or that many spares. In your tubby bag, you want 2 bombs with head, tyre levers, multi tool, spare tube ( if clinchers ), spare tubby if tubbies.

Should you cut a sidewall, use an empty gel sachet as a gaiter. (Not relevant for tubbies).

Despite the references to tubbies, unless you are a top-ten contender, I would be riding clinchers regardless. The "fixability" far outweighs the little bit of rolling benefit of tubbies.

This year, really strong winds etc, I rode a PRO clincher disc and a 50mm Mavic Cosmic front. Changed the front in the morning from an 88mm. Good call as it turns out.

What you DO want to have in your special needs bag is a light weatherproof top for if the weather turns, some food, specifically food other than the goo and juice you will be chugging.

Special Needs bags are donated to charity after the race, so anything you don't use, you don't get back. You can only call for Special Needs once during the cycle and once during the run.

There is a personal seconding station just after Special Needs where you can get stuff from your supporters. The marshals control it very strictly. You have to leave the road into a small area. You may not be handed anything. Your supporter has to put it on the ground and you have to pick it up, and vice versa. A little strange but stood in this area at the 2012 race and observed it very keenly.

Never saw anyone change wheels but did see a lot of nutrition being taken on and top ups of spares etc.

There are a number of tech vans that do roam and there is at least one fixed tech support station. They will give you a tube for free. More than that, they charge you after the race.

Special Needs bags are donated to charity after the race, so anything you don't use, you don't get back. You can only call for Special Needs once during the cycle and once during the run.

There is a personal seconding station just after Special Needs where you can get stuff from your supporters. The marshals control it very strictly. You have to leave the road into a small area. You may not be handed anything. Your supporter has to put it on the ground and you have to pick it up, and vice versa. A little strange but stood in this area at the 2012 race and observed it very keenly.

Never saw anyone change wheels but did see a lot of nutrition being taken on and top ups of spares etc.

Used the seconding station this year for a warm top on the run. Saved me for sure. But yes, as per above posts that is how I have it as far as the rules are for IMSA. I have the 2012 info guide in pdf, which I can mail to you if you like Garfield?

Garf. Did you do a spec savers entry ? If so did you go into spec savers spend a R100 and get a MyOwn loyalty card. Just thinking I cant think of much one can buy at Spec Savers for a R100. In which case you are actually only getting a discount of R900 and not R1000. If you spend anymore than R100 you might as well just pay the R4000 and get on with it. I have my contacts for the next 6 months anyway.

Garf. Did you do a spec savers entry ? If so did you go into spec savers spend a R100 and get a MyOwn loyalty card. Just thinking I cant think of much one can buy at Spec Savers for a R100. In which case you are actually only getting a discount of R900 and not R1000. If you spend anymore than R100 you might as well just pay the R4000 and get on with it. I have my contacts for the next 6 months anyway.

No I entered self sponsering. So I can wear what I want when I want it on raceday.

Ok so it turns out as I am an existing spec savers client I have one of these MyLoyalty cards, just cant find it. BUT the RULE says you must spend at least R100 before you can qualify for the spec savers discount even if you have an existing card. So I went down to my local spec savers and spent exactly R100. So tomorrow then once the purchase has registered I should be able to complete my registration. I hope .... thumbup1.gif

Ok so it turns out as I am an existing spec savers client I have one of these MyLoyalty cards, just cant find it. BUT the RULE says you must spend at least R100 before you can qualify for the spec savers discount even if you have an existing card. So I went down to my local spec savers and spent exactly R100. So tomorrow then once the purchase has registered I should be able to complete my registration. I hope .... thumbup1.gif

Well done. The Garf would love to rub claws with you during the swim in PE...........

Actually, you just need the number on the card.. I entered without spending anything thumbup1.gif well kept secret..

Actually, you just need the number on the card.. I entered without spending anything thumbup1.gif well kept secret..

Welcome back Gripen. How was your 8 month sabattical from Triathlon?