Rear derailleur issues

lerouc

Hi

I haven't been on my road bike for a few weeks now and i need to start training for the 99er. I noticed that something looked weird with my chain hanging very loose.

After a bit of an inspection i've noticed that my derailleur isnt in the correct position. My gears shifts without issue but for some reason it looks like the derailleur isn't in the correct position, i've added photos to try and explain what i mean.

post-25630-0-29465000-1357131983_thumb.jpg

It looks like the chain drops vertically down into the hanger wheels which causes the slack on the chain. I added another photo of how i think the derailleur should sit.

post-25630-0-87089200-1357131989_thumb.jpg

Is this a common thing which i can fix myself? How? or should i take it into my LBS?

Thanks,

Cobus

take the chain off and then see what happens, the derailer should fold up completely, i remember having this happen to me, all it was the derailer had to get back into position, i can't remember what i done exactly tho

take the chain off and then see what happens, the derailer should fold up completely, i remember having this happen to me, all it was the derailer had to get back into position, i can't remember what i done exactly tho

if i push it with my hands it goes back but as soon as i release it it drops out again...

have you changed anything, was the chain off, if i remember correctly in my case the whole derailleur was flipped around!

What happened in Die Burger with me the chain popped out of the hanger at the bottom wheel, i stopped and with some force got it back in but thats it.

From the pics and your description, looks like the torsion spring on the RD Hangar mounting shaft has either unclipped, or broken. If it has unclipped, you should be able to get it back, but if its broken, not sure if you can buy the spring separately for Shimano....

From the pics and your description, looks like the torsion spring on the RD Hangar mounting shaft has either unclipped, or broken. If it has unclipped, you should be able to get it back, but if its broken, not sure if you can buy the spring separately for Shimano....

cool, ill have a look tonight.

yep...spring tension in the bottom joint to the cage is gone, broken or popped out.

Ja it is that, do you guys know if this is fixable or do i need a new derailleur?

I would get a new RD - it's not worth the hassle trying to fix the spring - there are a two, and if one has gone, chances are the other one isn't that well either....also looks like the older 105 RD, so it's probably nearing the end of its life...

I would get a new RD - it's not worth the hassle trying to fix the spring - there are a two, and if one has gone, chances are the other one isn't that well either....also looks like the older 105 RD, so it's probably nearing the end of its life...

Ja it is old...took it into bike shop and they also confirmed it cant be fixed. Picking the bike up this afternoon after having it replaced with a sora one, all they had in stock but they said that a new sora might even be a better RD than a very old one that i had so i should be better off.

No Prob - yup - they are probably right - you might have gained a few grams (WOW) going to SORA, but most likely you will notice a way better shift feel. Worst case you won't even know the difference! Would probably have been a good idea to get them to replace the cable while you're at it - if they are going to have to set the RD anyway, worth doing.