Garmin data vs Strava data

If you want more accurate data then you need to set elevation points on any GPS, Garmin does cater for this. Remember any gps, by mode of operation sees the world as flat. It uses various techniques to establish elevation none of them 100% accurate. Thats why you will always see total differences between a garmin/polar/bryton file, they will all give different distances and different elevations.

The key is basically that if you use your gps on the same track you will always get close to the same figure on the same route and thats what you use to judge your climbing. Endomondo is the absolute worst at setting elevation.

But like i said if you want to get more accurate measurements you will need to set the elevation points. Its still not 100% accurate but more accurate than most.

Edited by covie

Application like Strava, Wconnect, Golden Cheetah and Training peaks interpret data differently. It could be that Strava ignores stopping time hence ylour average is higher.

For most appliations the Edge 500 is setup as follows:

1. Auto pause off

2. Turm smart recording off (record every second for more accurate data)

3. Include zero's turned on (important when reading power data)

Application like Strava, Wconnect, Golden Cheetah and Training peaks interpret data differently. It could be that Strava ignores stopping time hence ylour average is higher.

For most appliations the Edge 500 is setup as follows:

1. Auto pause off

2. Turm smart recording off (record every second for more accurate data)

3. Include zero's turned on (important when reading power data)

If you turn off 1 second recording you will get totally inacurate data, the pausing has nothing to do with the elevation stats.

Remember a edge 500 is a barometric altimeter so if your base altitude is incorrect the rest of your data will also be incorrect.

If you turn off 1 second recording you will get totally inacurate data, the pausing has nothing to do with the elevation stats.

The OP's original question was about average speed NOT elevation

Exactly 1 second recording is precisely there for accurate power and speed recording. And if you use autopause then ensure you set it up correctly i.e. anything less than 4kmh is considered a pause, as the garmin units still display a speed even when stationary.

Strava endomondo, etc will never be as acurate as a proper GPS unit with any of the measurements.

I have also noticed that those recording their data on an the iphone strava app record a much higher total elevation than if recorded with a Garmin.

yeah, its the stop time thats not taken into account on Garmin Connect...i also upload my activity onto Garmin connnect and strava and the latter gives me the elapsed time vs the actual time, hence the difference in avg speed....and garmin connect just gives me total time not taking into account stops automatically.

yeah, its the stop time thats not taken into account on Garmin Connect...i also upload my activity onto Garmin connnect and strava and the latter gives me the elapsed time vs the actual time, hence the difference in avg speed....and garmin connect just gives me total time not taking into account stops automatically.

Moving Time: includes only the time you were moving

Time: includes time moving and time not moving (if Auto Pause is off)

Elapsed Time: includes time between when timer is started, stopped, and reset (includes Auto Pause or manual stoppage of the timer)

It seems as if the biggest difference between "Time" and "Elapsed Time" is whether or not you are using the Auto Pause function.

Time: 1:45:18 Moving Time: 1:44:45 Elapsed Time: 2:13:54

• 4 months later...

Also seeing this. After syncing the Garmin record (edit: i.e. directly uploading GPX on strava site) to Strava, and comparing the 2 (in strava), this is what I have for the MM:

Edge: 74.7km, 1813m elev, 5h16 moving time

S3: 76km (the "correct" distance as per race briefing), 1,594m ("correct" as per website), moving time 5h23 (only??? felt like lifetimes).

My avg speed came out at the same, "elapsed time" had a 4 minute difference due to different stopping times, so those all align.

Garmin reckons 200m elev over 1.3km and 7 minutes less moving time...

Garmin Edge 305 attached to stem, S3 in the saddle bag, for what its worth.

Edited by Captain Cheesy

Strava by default uses moving time to work out the average km/h, so it doesn't take into account your rest times.

Similar to auto pause on Endomondo