In the Sticks Gravel Series to Boost SA Racing

News bot

Gravel Racing in South Africa continues to gain popularity and has now been boosted by the launch of the In the Sticks Gravel Series. The five-race series will offer decent prizemoney, media coverage and a high-standard of organisation. The full series will launch in 2025, but an abbreviated three-race version kicks off in July 2024. Since it was given official International Cycling Union (UCI) discipline status in 2022, Gravel Racing is enjoying remarkable global growth. And South Africa is riding that wave. The launch of In the Sticks Gravel Series adds greater structure to the discipline, which has attracted a […]

View full article

On 5/18/2024 at 9:35 PM, Shebeen said:

awesome. people throwing money at bike racing. please support

I'm most certainly going to take part in as many as my schedule allows, next one, for 2024 at least, is GT100, which is in my neck of the woods. Early bird prices looking good, too.

Flew to joburg twice this year already so will probably give this one a miss, let's see where the next ones are.

Yes, nice to see some money thrown at racing, if it can help seeing a pro scene emerge.

As an age grouper, would also be nice if we got prizes that at least cover the cost of entry, R2TS R1500 prize for a R1650 entry was a bit of a joke imo, but it's obviously not a deciding factor, since for those joburg races the costs are way higher than just the entry (flights, day off work, sleep over..)

On 5/20/2024 at 7:02 AM, mecheng89 said:

I'm most certainly going to take part in as many as my schedule allows, next one, for 2024 at least, is GT100, which is in my neck of the woods. Early bird prices looking good, too.

Yes, I did the 60km last year. Sharp and fast! Great morning out.

Pretty annoyed at my daughter for being born two days prior and needing to have a birthday party the day of this race. Who care's about 8th birthdays anyway? Can't we make kids birthday parties knit-one-skip-one? It'll make the times they actually happen really special, so win win!

Going out south and coming back north is going to make this tough in the last half. Looks like fun, looking forward to the other races in '24 if I can squeeze one in. 

On 5/22/2024 at 2:26 PM, Danger Dassie said:

Yes, I did the 60km last year. Sharp and fast! Great morning out.

I 'm strggling to decide between the 60k and the 110k.

The 60k is short enough to really give it horns, and I don't live too far away, so I could cycle there and back, then I'll have >100k.

110k - no need to cycle home after the race, and at this stage, 110k at "race pace" is probably on my limit.