beginner to mtb needs help please.

Razor Blade

So im new to mtb, and have been doing recearch into different bike sizes and specs accouring to my budget (R6000 for a complete bike, no accesories) but I still feel im not all clude up to make a descision before I buy. so if someone can help me with a few questions, I would realy appreciate it.

First of all my size needs to be taken into consideration as I need to know if you think a 26er or 29 er will best suit me and my needs. I am 24 years old, 1.9m and 90kgs.

I want a bike that can do cross country, to ride it on the farm, single tracks, aswell as tarmac and mtb tracks in and around Durbanville/cape town.

What makes and models is best for my needs and my budget, and where do I find them? I found that yes second hand bikes are alot cheaper, but with not knowing the sport yet, I dont know what to look for and where, whats a real bargain and whats not. Also the guys see that and then tried to exploid it by trying to sell the bike for far more by adding a few cheap part.pend to stimble upon these bikes that looks fairly good, but please any advice on new or second hand bikes, models, sizes ect will be highly appreciated.

Trek wahoo 29er R5000

Titan Sport 29er R5700

Draco 180 disc

hydro 6061 alloy frame

FD M 190 and RD M 410 alivio

SL M 360 shifter

Suntour SR 2 xcm v 3 MLO forks

Schwinn Moab2.0 R5500

Tektro HDC 300 hydrolic shock

Gold series aluminium

alex Td24 DW Rims

Altus m 310 FDs and Acera M 360 RD

Above are some of the options I stumbled upon,.

Stay away from anything with Altus / Acera on it - Alivio / Deore or better for an entry level bike that will last. If you can save another grand or so you should be able to find something if you shop around - i bought a GT with rock shox and deore spec for R6800 last year. Ask your local dealers about 2012 models or check out www.o-bike.co.za

otherwise , 2nd hand is the way to go at that budget, you will get a much better spec bike for the money.

Agree with AA. Shop around for last years model on special and don't be afraid to buy second hand - post any queries here.

I am no great expert, and I am not a racer. Your first decision is 26 v 29. You can get a bike with better components right now as a 2nd hand 26’er at 40-60% of the price of a new one, or better. I did this when we started riding and bought two almost new GT Avalanche 1.0’s at R4k and R3k respectively about 2 and a half years ago (and XL and a M). The risk in buying 2nd hand is hidden frame damage and/or worn parts and/or a stolen bike. You need to inspect and sit on the bike. If you buy new, at your price range you will have to compromise on components. I am also 1.9 m. I would go with a bottom of the range 29’er with the same frame as more expensive models in the same range. Three such solid choices at about R6 k are Silverback Vida, Momsen AL 126, GT Karakoram. You can upgrade components as you replace worn parts over time. You get good components on the Hub when members try to save a few grams in buying more expensive parts. I have bought a new Momsen AL 529R (XL) last year that I bought at a huge discount (R3k) as being old stock after I had looked for months for a 2nd hand one. I could not get a shop with Silverback stock in my area, as it would have been my first choice. After riding the Momsen, I can only say that I love it. I still have the GT (XL), and still ride it, as it is more work when I train or if I do not want to ride away from a friend. The other GT now has an XL Silverback frame (my son grew through two frames). I ended up with mostly Shimano parts on our bikes, which I now stick to in order to learn how to fix what we have got. I do not know how big the difference is between different model ranges in group sets, the writers say that you can feel the difference between Shimano SLX and XT and XTR. I do not know if this is so. Do not worry too much about components, just ride! [i would immediately do a tubeless conversion if I were you.]

Hmmm...tough one.

Your height and type of riding suggest 29r.

But your budget suggests 26r.

Personally, if it was my money, i would get a better 26r that is cheaper than a 29r (29r prices are inflated due to high demand)

AND I WOULD ONLY LOOK SECOND HAND.

New wont buy much...

Maybe get a good deal on a flash 26r second hand cos some guy wants to buy an overpriced 29r.

http://www.silverbacklab.com/2011_website_SILVERBACK/vida3.htm

http://www.titanracingbikes.com/29rcomp.html

Here are 2 options should you wish to buy a new bike. I would recommend a 29er hardtail to start off with. I've been riding for 7 years now and would still be very sceptical buying a second hand bike (I also don't buy second hand cars, so its probably just my own paranoia that prevents me from doing this).

Both bikes listed here should come in below R8000.

Make sure the bike shop measures you correctly before buying a bike. I see too many newbies buying the wrong size to start off with. You also get the benefit of warrantee on the frame and other components to start off with.

cyclopro in PE has some old stock 2012 axis a 30 bikes.

rock shox recon silver tk air shock, sram x5 and X7 components, and its 29er for R6500.

just got myself one (im a newbie and i cant spell so hi all)