Your Enduro ride

RockCoach

Excuse my ignorance. What is the def. between an Enduro Bike and a Cross Country Bike ?

Travel, geometry, clothing the rider wears.

enduro bike is essentially the bastard child of downhill and XC.

but i think OM classifies anything that isn't a downhill bike as XC so dont take my word for it.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me. the bike I've already bought. what rear shock does it have?

And what rear axle configuration do they run?

If I remember correctly, that one runs a normal 135mm QR (it's pre-142mm) and an RP23.

Guest Omega Man

The amount of fun you have on each differs immensely.

Mini Hijack! Check out our logo dude.

post-18968-0-25654900-1385124307_thumb.jpg

Ok as you were.

Excuse my ignorance. What is the def. between an Enduro Bike and a Cross Country Bike ?

• Cross-country - Cross-country (XC) racing is held on a varied terrain circuit, it is normally around 6-8 kilometers (km) and is always a massed-start race. Under the controversial new 2006 UCI rules, elite, U23, and Junior Expert riders at UCI sanctioned races, are allowed technical assistance, but only in designated zones and only by an authorized team mechanic. However, riders in the same team can help each other at any point in the race. Under NORBA rules, no technical assistance is allowed. Professional level races are longer in distance, around 50 km.
  • Marathon - Marathon (XCM) is perhaps the toughest form of mountain biking because riders often have to cover more than 80 km in one race on mountainous terrain. The distances usually vary from 60 km to 100 km. Races often exceed 100 km, but are then termed Ultra-Marathons. Recently UCI has inaugurated the Marathon World Cup. Basically it equals point-to-point (PP) discipline and that means that riders have a mass start from point "A" and they finish at point "B".

• Enduro - Enduro (ND) is a relatively new format which appears to have taken some inspiration from both car rally and motorbike enduro racing. Mountain bike enduro is essentially the competitive side of the mountain biking format often referred to today as "All-Mountain". It is a stage-race format where the winner is the rider who accumulates the lowest combined time from the various timed sections. Mountain bike enduro competitions typically take place over the course of 1 or 2 days, however, week-long enduro competitions do also exist. A typical one-day enduro race consists of 3 to 5 timed "special" stages which take place on technically demanding, generally descending terrain. These special stages are linked by predominantly ascending "liaison" stages. Although a rider's specific performance on the physically demanding liaison stages does not affect his or her result, the liaisons are often associated with a time-cut off (i.e. a latest permitted arrival at the summit of the next special stage). The sport has taken root in mostly in the Northwest of United States, a location known for its miles of winding single-track trails alongside old growth forest and bubbling creeks. Northwest Epic Series is the most famous series in Washington state that offers race distances ranging from 30 miles all the way to 100 miles.[2]

Guest Omega Man

If I remember correctly, that one runs a normal 135mm QR (it's pre-142mm) and an RP23.

eish. ok.

Guest Omega Man

Don't quote me on it, I'm just looking at the flashback my brain is showing me.

Ja i think you are right.

Tell me. the bike I've already bought. what rear shock does it have?

And what rear axle configuration do they run?

Rear shock is a RP23. Not sure about the axle. Give JP a buzz.

Dude - just watch the beginning of this video and it will explain ALL!

@ Omega - Tracer hey??? Nice choice ...

So i see you bank balance is also going to go for a ball of Cr_p this Christmas! hahaha

• Cross-country - Cross-country (XC) racing is held on a varied terrain circuit, it is normally around 6-8 kilometers (km) and is always a massed-start race. Under the controversial new 2006 UCI rules, elite, U23, and Junior Expert riders at UCI sanctioned races, are allowed technical assistance, but only in designated zones and only by an authorized team mechanic. However, riders in the same team can help each other at any point in the race. Under NORBA rules, no technical assistance is allowed. Professional level races are longer in distance, around 50 km.
  • Marathon - Marathon (XCM) is perhaps the toughest form of mountain biking because riders often have to cover more than 80 km in one race on mountainous terrain. The distances usually vary from 60 km to 100 km. Races often exceed 100 km, but are then termed Ultra-Marathons. Recently UCI has inaugurated the Marathon World Cup. Basically it equals point-to-point (PP) discipline and that means that riders have a mass start from point "A" and they finish at point "B".

• Enduro - Enduro (ND) is a relatively new format which appears to have taken some inspiration from both car rally and motorbike enduro racing. Mountain bike enduro is essentially the competitive side of the mountain biking format often referred to today as "All-Mountain". It is a stage-race format where the winner is the rider who accumulates the lowest combined time from the various timed sections. Mountain bike enduro competitions typically take place over the course of 1 or 2 days, however, week-long enduro competitions do also exist. A typical one-day enduro race consists of 3 to 5 timed "special" stages which take place on technically demanding, generally descending terrain. These special stages are linked by predominantly ascending "liaison" stages. Although a rider's specific performance on the physically demanding liaison stages does not affect his or her result, the liaisons are often associated with a time-cut off (i.e. a latest permitted arrival at the summit of the next special stage). The sport has taken root in mostly in the Northwest of United States, a location known for its miles of winding single-track trails alongside old growth forest and bubbling creeks. Northwest Epic Series is the most famous series in Washington state that offers race distances ranging from 30 miles all the way to 100 miles.[2]

Many thanks for your reply, However, from the text, it appears that the event dictates what you " call " your bike. The bike could be an XC on day one and a Enduro on day two ?

@Omega, if that frame uses the G1 drop outs (which it most likely does) then you should be able to convery it to 142x12.

I didn't look carefully when I got taken to the spares room at Solomon's, but they have bags full of regular, and G3 drop outs, si I'm sure there must be G1's too.

Many thanks for your reply, However, from the text, it appears that the event dictates what you " call " your bike. The bike could be an XC on day one and a Enduro on day two ?

It could, but a particular bike will always be more suited to one discipline than the other. It's not really possible to build a bike which does *everything* well, compromises in one area are inevitable to gain performance in another.

Um, No. Enduro is a stage race where you only get timed on the downhills. thus guys tend to fly down the hills and so use bikes that have slack head angles, lower BB's and long travel forks and frames. A bit like DH riding. Quickest time comes first. However you still have to pedal up the uphills to get to the start of the downhill sections (unlike DH) so you need a bike that still pedals well and is light.

you could use an enduro bike for XC. you would get really buggered tho because its not well designed for that style of riding. just like you could use an XC bike for enduro but you are likely to bend a rim and bottom out the forks and break the frame.

Not really - As MH says the bikes are designed to suit one discipline over another.

Although rider opinions vary on each subject the following is the overall genre of bikes -

In Marathon and or XC - a suited bike is a 27.5 / 29 Full Sus or Hardtail with 100mm of travel and a 69deg headangle, light singleply tyres and XC orientated setup (IE narrow bars with no dropper post )

In All Mountain and or Enduro - a suited bike is a 26 / 27.5 / 29 Full Sus with 130 to 160mm of travel and a 67 deg head angle - more durable tyres - and a set up that includes short stem, wide bars and dropper post

Downhill - a suited bike is a 26 / 27.5 Full Sus with 200+ mm of travel and a slack 65 or less deg head angle

Archived