Specialized Comp MTB Shoe

Kevin07

Is it worth spending the extra R750 over the Specialized Sport Mtb shoes?

Currently have the old Sport model and they have served me well but time for them to be replaced.

Max budget is what the Comps are going for which is R1800.

Any advice?

Kevin, I'm riding with the Comps. Just had a quick look on the difference in specs as well on Spez site - there is very little difference. The biggest difference being the ratchet closure of the top "flap" - and that is the one thing I hate about this shoe. Those things constantly break after a couple of unplanned dismounts.

If it's good for you - stick to the Sport. Unless somebody else gives a very good reason here, I will replace my Comps with Sports when that day comes. FWIW, I use the Sport road model as well, which has served me very very well.

I opted for the Comp over the more expensive Expert shoe. My second set of mountain bike shoes were the Sport version and I found that the top velcro strap started to fail after about a year or so. The top strap takes most of the tension when cycling and the comp strap with ratchet system is replaceable should it fail. You can also adjust the ratchet a bit if the teeth on the strap starts to wear off, so you end up with much longer life out of a pair. It is also easier to get a snug fit with the ratchet system.

Just bought the Comps,

quite like the ratchet over normal velcro straps.

The shoe feels way more solid on the foot as you can tighten better.

The other shoes with the velcro started to get old and didnt latch so nicely hence the new shoes.

My second set of mountain bike shoes were the Sport version and I found that the top velcro strap started to fail after about a year or so. The top strap takes most of the tension when cycling and the comp strap with ratchet system is replaceable should it fail.

I haven't found this at all with my Sport shoes. I've had them about a year, and they're still going strong, absolutely nothing wrong with the straps for me. Good sturdy product. Cost about R950.

I have the Pro's with the ratchet. After 3 years of use, the ratchet strap has torn itself out of the leather, which isn't repairable. The replaceable part is the ratchet clip on the other side, which I have not needed to replace.

My conclusion is that they all break eventually, and cheaper is probably better.

I've had my Comps for 5 years now and they're still good to go (and I don't look after my things very well in general). Those ratchet clips are R190 a set, so not the end of the world if they break (i've broken one for the first time this year). I also found that the bottom two velcro straps don't stick as well anymore, so glad I went with the Comps.

Hmmm... interesting comments, glad about the thread. Seems I will stick to the comps if I were to replace mine.

Very true about the rathet giving a snug fit. One of those things you don't think of untill somebody mentions it. I was a bit miffed when my one ratchet stopped working after a very soft fall in mud. So maybe a bit oversensitive there on my behalf. Because the other did get s serious knock the other day with a biiig crash on a tar (between playing in the mountains and work, before you all get upset about the T-word...) section - and nothing wrong with that one still, except some cosmetic damage. And true, this is after 2 1/2 years of extensive use.

End up going with the new Specialized sport.

Got them for a good price and they look cool too.

post-21364-0-88120800-1370270750_thumb.jpg

I have a pair is sports for 3 years now and I've ridden them hard. They are still going strong so absolutely no complaints there.

Great buy Kevin

• 1 year later...
Any comments on the current 2014 comp shoes?

Is anyone using them and what do you think?

I bought a pair in March and I love the shoes. I had my arch and bridge of my feet measured by Specialized and added additional inner soles to fit my feet perfectly. The ergonomic design can be felt, and its well worth the effort and money.

Anyone know a good place to look for the Sport shoes? My local Spez-LBS charges a standard 25% extra on all their goods...

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know a good place to look for the Sport shoes? My local Spez-LBS charges a standard 25% extra on all their goods...

Yep I phoned the Concept store in Lynnwood Pta and they go for 1199. is that the best price?

Archived