Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

I get R3mil travel insurance (yes the comprehensive one) if I buy the air ticket with my credit card, maybe something to consider for you guys.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

I get R3mil travel insurance (yes the comprehensive one) if I buy the air ticket with my credit card, maybe something to consider for you guys.

You sure about that? I went that route last year and when I read the fineprint quickly cancelled the policy cos it specifically excluded "extreme" sports.

People DO get hurt there and you can't take a chance on your financial future with vague policy wordings. The leisure comprehensive one you get a little card in your pack and if you get hurt it's taken care of. Remember there are some fairly remote areas that are not easily accessible making heli evacuation a necessity.

For me I spend the R800 and know I'm covered properly.

Edited by Omega Man

You sure about that? I went that route last year and when I read the fineprint quickly cancelled the policy cos it specifically excluded "extreme" sports.

People DO get hurt there and you can't take a chance on your financial future with vague policy wordings. The leisure comprehensive one you get a little card in your pack and if you get hurt it's taken care of. Remember there are some fairly remote areas that are not easily accessible making heli evacuation a necessity.

For me I spend the R800 and know I'm covered properly.

Yip, got the same one when we went to NZ. They cover extreame sports (I specified snow boarding, jet boating and MTBing at that time). Of course different banks and different card statusses will offer different options, but it is worth looking into it.

Guest Omega Man

Yip, got the same one when we went to NZ. They cover extreame sports (I specified snow boarding, jet boating and MTBing at that time). Of course different banks and different card statusses will offer different options, but it is worth looking into it.

Haha. Someone has a platimun card.

Ja look that whole credit card thing isn't going to work for us cos I'm doing a group booking which means 1 payment. If I don't go that route the group rate goes by by.

Awesome. Will check the status of mr passport tonight and then get the ball rolling. I dread the renewal process in JHB.

Only place I would go again is Heidelberg, they are excellent, small offices and quiet, done Passports and ID books through them in the last 2-3 months.

Guest Omega Man

No hub takers yet?

3 people have booked so far so only 17 spots left.

Guest Omega Man

BTW. If you want to sort your own flights out guys (some people have loads of miles or want to pay by credit card) you are welcome to do that. The trip will then be R12500 Excl flights.

That still includes 13 nights catered accommodation in Morzine, Lift passes as well as airport shuttles to and from Geneva.

Guest Omega Man

I will be in Morzine next weekend!

Come on!!!

AWESOME. Been waiting for you to post. please take lot's of pics.

Ok me and the wife had a little chat and she reckons I have to go on this trip seeing as I've never been to Europe and she isn't keen on two weeks of mtb'ing.

So I'll be in touch in September to get te deposit paid and sory out all the details.

What I'm curious about thoough is whether this is the type of trip just a general trails rider? I'm not a DH nutter but I also stay off the dirt roads. I just enjoy riding trails, hitting berms and the odd small jump.

Point is I want to go and ride my bike and have a few beers with hopefully some new mates.

Guest Omega Man

Ok me and the wife had a little chat and she reckons I have to go on this trip seeing as I've never been to Europe and she isn't keen on two weeks of mtb'ing.

So I'll be in touch in September to get te deposit paid and sory out all the details.

What I'm curious about thoough is whether this is the type of trip just a general trails rider? I'm not a DH nutter but I also stay off the dirt roads. I just enjoy riding trails, hitting berms and the odd small jump.

Point is I want to go and ride my bike and have a few beers with hopefully some new mates.

If your other half says you should go that's 90% of the battle won.

Nico there are trails for all levels and abilities. You will have an amazing time. I guarantee it.

There's a trail on Zore just above Morzine. It's graded blue which means it has jumps but no gaps. And the range of rider on that trail to me was amazing. From holiday makers on hard tails who actually have no business on bicycle let alone a downhill trail right up to Tahnee Seagrave the current junior ladies World Champion (She lives there in the summer)

All riding the same trail and all having fun. There are no judgments or egos. No one cares about you or what you are doing. They are only interested in their riding. So you can ride the stuff you want to ride at your own pace

There's a trail in Chatel called Serpentine. It has 32 berms. And when I say berm I mean taller than a man. 32 of those snaking down the valley. Some of the blue trails do contain gap jumps but they are off the natural line and marked with little red flags.

The trails are all color graded according to technical difficulty so you won't end up on a trail that is beyond your ability. It is the trip of a life time.

Edited by Omega Man

Well that settles that then! I'll be back in September to confirm deposit. As I understand I only need to worry about Visa once I have plane ticket booked?

Guest Omega Man

Well that settles that then! I'll be back in September to confirm deposit. As I understand I only need to worry about Visa once I have plane ticket booked?

SWEEEEETT!

Ja. I've got all the visa requirements but basically you need a plane ticket, accommodation, and a few other odds and ends for the visa. It takes less than a week for it to come through. Don't bother with visa agencies or anything like that. I've got all the info that they'd charge you money for anyway and you HAVE to go to the consulate anyway.

Closer to the time I'll send out a survival guide/things you need list but as a mountain biker you'll already have most of that stuff anyway. Oh. If you are on a trail bike get a dropper post if you don't have one. There's SOOO much free vertical and some of the descents are steep.

Ever jumped an Airbag? There's one in Les Gets, Lindarets AND Chatel. Yes they're free.

Oh. I said Serpentine has 32 berms. There's a trail called Panoramic which is the natural intro to Serpentine. I reckon between those 2 trails there's 60 berms. Easily.

Edited by Omega Man