Stupid Motorists

andrewbell

Ha! Did you get a good return on that propert investment at the coast!! I bought shares there too in '90, so I feel for you...I remember that day well!! Man you and your brother were p!$$#d!!!

I forgot that he did time!! Ooops! I was referring to your crash!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've still got the scars, but the experience is one I wouldn't trade. Neil wasn't to blame - it was my own fault. But I got him back at Pilditch the next year, and have got the 'photos to prove it!! All clean, no-one injured.

Pilditch? Ok, I am a bit confused now...didnt you crash at Durban track in 98? Then you toasted it in the points/pursuit at Belville in 99? Was 2000 at Pilditch? I never rode from 2000 on...

You were always very fair though when riding, never dirty. Unless you changed?!

No you are 100% correct - won at Belleville in 99, but the Pilditch S.A's in 2000 was classic - even Ian Lester (who was commentating) was referring to the "tandem on the front" (in the points race,'cos Neil just sat wheel) - haven't spoken to Neil for years but still have a lot of respect for the man. I actually miss the -"I'll try to kill you on the track - but I'll be your mate off it" mentality - maybe I'm just old!!

I hear you! Its cool that you can race each other, no holds barred...and get of the track and have a good laugh at it all. I miss that personally, and I think its an important of the racing! It should not be serious all the time.

Neil was very talented on the track, and you kicked it Garen style in 99 in the points!!

I'm quite honoured to be equated to Garen. Personally, I think we should start a Vets track League (no not the usual suspects) - but give it some thought- PM me and we'll talk if you're keen.

I'm in if its just for some light racing...nothing serious for me! Those days are gone! I'll PM you...

You kicked a$$ in that points at Belville. I still said to Chunky that you'd have medalled in the Elite points that year. Was good chatting...

Thanks Simon, I 'm not normally on this late (at my age we're normally in bed by 7) But let's hear it from the old trackies - you wanna come race???

Here's your chance - let's see.

Simon,

Nothing serious from my side either - Balance sheet= Money won at track races: about R300.,00 Money spent personally to go to world championships in excesss of R50 000.

I have 4 Gold medals from World Champs, 1 Silver and 1,  Bronze and very little recognition.

I am waiting for the flood of wannabee Vet riders who reckon that these are "soft" medals.

Step up to the plate boys and do better.

Ian...I tried working it out the other day. And if I had not of spent all that money on bicycles and racing, I could have bought a house! But then I wouldnt have the cool stories, scars (chicks dig scars!) and a whole host of 'near death experiences'

But it would be nice to have a functioning left hand!!

GO and Trackie, if i hadn't spent all the money i have over the past few years on cycling i'd most prolly be about 20kg overweight, i'd have a lekker TV and PC etc at home, a fast car and most prolly be sick more often than not. yep, i have a buggered-up shoulder with a funky scar but cycling is worth it. i just wish i'd discovered the sport sooner and been talented enought o have the kind of memories that you guys have!

Simon' date='

Nothing serious from my side either - Balance sheet= Money won at track races: about R300.,00 Money spent personally to go to world championships in excesss of R50 000.

I have 4 Gold medals from World Champs, 1 Silver and 1,  Bronze and very little recognition.

I am waiting for the flood of wannabee Vet riders who reckon that these are "soft" medals.

Step up to the plate boys and do better.
[/quote']

Trackie, was this world masters? There are some awesome riders in the ranks who can stick it anyday to the young ones!

You know SlowPoke, you are right!

I can recount many memories...a fist fight with George Hincappie...chatting with Brad Mcgee...trying to remove my chamois from my lower intestine after Guiseppe Palumbo crossed my front wheel!! Yes, these are priceless memories for sure!! Good for you!!

GO, those kind of memories (ie pain pain and more pain inflicted by your bike) are still better than memories from a time of not-cycling - somehow my memories from 2003 onwards (when i started cycling and felt it's side effects) are just sooooo much nicer than the bland memories (injury, incident and paid free) from before that time! slowpoke2008-02-01 00:27:56

Yes G.O. George mentioned that incident when I had coffee with him last week - by the way, he wants his wind trainer back when you're next in Ghent.Big%20smile