iRide Africa introduces mechanics courses in Cape Town

Dan Dob

Hi Hubbers,

I would just like to let you all know that we have launched 2 mechanics skills courses that will be run at our premises in Cape Town. A special price of R250/course is running for the month of June!

After many requests from our skills clinic customers, we have added 2 courses that deal with fixing your bike and maintaining it.

The more basic course is about 'getting you home' in the event of a mechanical failure. You'll learn how all the parts of your bike work and how to check and adjust the most important parts of it. Of course, puncture repair (tube and tubeless), broken chains, setting up your suspension properly, adjusting your rubbing brakes and basic gear adjusting are covered in this 3 hour course.

The more involved course is about saving you money at bike shops. After doing this course, you should never have to drop your bike off for a 'basic service' at your LBS and thus save a LOT of money each year.

On both these courses, you'll learn about the specific tools you need to service and adjust your bike and I'll offer advice on what tools you would have to invest in.

All the information is on our website, so please just go and check it out there and feel free to suggest what you think is missing from the courses on this thread (keeping in mind they are only 3 hours long!).

We won't go into wheelbuilding and shock servicing as these courses would take a lot more time and money to introduce.

post-6207-0-69101200-1370507480_thumb.jpg

Nice initiative.

For me i would be very keen on that wheel building course!!

Thanks Meezo,

We'll offer wheelbuilding one day, hopefully if there is enough interest. Cippo, these courses are aimed at both road and mtb as what we cover applies to both types of bikes with a few differences.

Edited by iRide

When do we pay? I am about to sign up for the Basic Service Course - Is the cost for the day R300?

Not yet Hairy, what are you looking for?

Bleeding brakes? Servicing forks? Wheel building?

Could you possibly cover bleeding of brakes in the Basic Mechanics Course?

SkinnySweatyMan, My only concern is time. There are so many different types of brakes on the market that I would have to go through each type. The procedure is more or less the same but the tools and nuances of each one complicate things. I may have to add another course to cover it but will see how future clinics go.

SkinnySweatyMan, My only concern is time. There are so many different types of brakes on the market that I would have to go through each type. The procedure is more or less the same but the tools and nuances of each one complicate things. I may have to add another course to cover it but will see how future clinics go.

Fair Enough :thumbup:

Well there is not much actually for me other than maybe a wheelbuilding day and I like the fork servincing, but I recon hubs, etc would be good for a wider user group

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hubbers,

Our first courses have gone down a treat and I've managed to streamline the course to fit the important stuff into 3 hours (no easy task!). I've secured the dates for our courses in July so if you would like to book please follow the link.

[self Rescue]

* 3 July 2013 [6pm-9pm]

* 7 July 2013 [9am-12pm]

* 16 July 2013 [6pm-9pm]

* 24 July 2013 [6pm-9pm]

[basic Service]

* 6 July 2013 [9am-12pm]

* 28 July 2013 [9am-12pm]

* 30 July 2013 [6pm-9pm]

Edited by iRide