Groenkloof track names

River Rat

I ride in Groenkloof quite regularly and have become quite fond of the place. During my ride there on Sunday I was thinking that it might be great to give some of the tracks names like they do on Sani.

The only section that I know of that has a name is Onion Hill so if there are named sections feel free to correct me. Here are the names that my riding partners and I came up with and why.

Looking at the route (obviously clockwise) we named the first section as you veer off the tarmac at the start all the way to the R21 Burry's Playground because it reminded us of the Olympic course were Burry showed such great courage and tenacity.

The first steep rocky climb after Burry's Playground we named Kudu Climb simply because we often spot Kudu there. There are two climbs on that koppie so we named them Kudu 1 (steepest one on the right fork) and Kudu 2 ( the slightly easier left fork).

The section of forest single track when you veer off to the right after the jeep track next to the R21 we named Friar's Forest. The reason being that we once got stuck behind a rather large guy that simply resisted any attempts we made to pass him, somewhat like Friar Tuck duelling with Robin Hood for the rites of passage.

The steep rocky section after the 4x4 dip we named Dragon's Back or just Dragons because riding it is like trying to ride over the fins on a Dragons back and if you don't do it quickly the Dragon is going to get you.

That great piece of flowing single track after Dragons we called Rossi's Run because to really enjoy it you have to ride it like Valentino Rossi rides his motorbike think Grand Prix here! Fast and furious with courageous cornering and acceleration out of the corner.

The short gnarly descent after Onion Hill we called Devil's Gully because if you fall there and survive it's going to be hell. The section just before the end after you have crossed the river we called Merlin's because in summer the place has almost a magical feel to it with twisted tree trunks and the mushrooms sprouting after good rains.

These are our thoughts perhaps they resonate with yours.

There are a few named segments at Groenies.

Check out Strava.com to get more details.

A very long standing one since i started riding - Milkshake rocks - Get a milkshake if you can ride the whole thing

without putting your foot down.

There are a few named segments at Groenies.

Check out Strava.com to get more details.

A very long standing one since i started riding - Milkshake rocks - Get a milkshake if you can ride the whole thing

without putting your foot down.

Now you are forcing me deeper in to the abyss of technology, but to strava we shall go!

Sounds good .I love groenkloof .If only we can get a section of switchbacks to train on it will be perfect

Is it possible to ride a route that follows the different numbers at some of the turnoffs? Tried it twice with limited success :-(