9mm vs 15mm axle...! eh?

davetapson

I'm looking at the forks for sale at on-one and the Rockshox RLT comes with a choice of 9mm or 15mm axles.

Seeing as my experience only runs as far as using normal (thin) skewer axles, what is the difference and which should I be getting for a SS marathon / commute bike?

The difference in forks is primarily stiffness. However, between WR & 15mm threre's hardly any difference. The real difference comes in when you get the 20mm Ta versions, which have aa hugely increased stiffness factor at the wheels.

However - for commuting / marathon you'll hardly notice the difference. Oh - 20mm is also hardly available anymore except in teh burly forks.

stiffness and weight, but really, the additional weight with a 15mm TA/QR will only matter to a really hardcore weight weenie. Also, your hub choice will change accordingly if you buying new. The 15mm Maxle lite is a fuss free axle option. Super easy to setup and use.