Seeking Peace or just a Death Wish?

Guest Frail4Life

I once was walking along Ballito beach front where you can see into the hotels. There was this huge overweight dude sitting in his hotel lounge, a few metres from the beach, watching t.v. why didnt he save himself the trip and just watch tv at home?

Guest Frail4Life

Take kvdp up on the offer! Nothing beats a cycle and a cup of coffee after with a mate...., well, almost nothing :-) Chin up dude, you are not alone!

Time frame, is not possible.

Either start at 07h00 or finish at 22h00.

Guest Frail4Life

Try parking your bike next to the bed at night, the wife will probably go to or send you to the spare room, last thing you see at night, first thing you lay eyes on in the morning. ( Of course if you have to go at night watch out for the shins!)

As i lie here in Bed typing my bike 3 feet away, sits watching me everyday yearning for my company.

Guest Frail4Life

Gary, if that's the exit of the Swartberg Pass in your avatar picture, you have excellent taste.

Frail, you need to ride a place like the Swartberg Pass just for fun, it will clear the head like few other rides.

The biggest trouble IS I have already cycled that same road and many others.

Guest Frail4Life

Ok here is a recap, i meant to post yesterday.

I arrived home around 16h30 with rain forecasted.

I started preparing all my gear.

Drink, mixed.

Lights, charged.

Spare tube and tools.

Winter kit, 100% waterproof.

Took a last peep out the door before i left.

After preparing everything i expected,

to get Wet, only the feet got wet.

to get a Puncture, gratefully only one.

to have motorists all over in my Space.

to turn around, go back home.

Not even the street sweepers trying to do some late shopping could put me down.

OR the Dude who Mistook me for a Police/ Emergency vehicle and took evasive action, pulling off the road and tried to take me with.

Returning 2h30 later feeling excited and peaceful.

I had so much great thoughts while cycling!

Guest Frail4Life

With all the trouble nowdays, just cycling is a Death wish but in the Rain???

Eish FRAIL, I feel for you. A lot of us are in the vice between work, money, time, family and riding.Suddenly even small problems seem insurmountable. I think you may have also given too much of yourself?

I don't have an answer except to realise that life can be hard but there is always someone worse off. Maybe try set and plan small things to look forward to. Make time for yourself (easier said than done I know). Hardest but what can be rewarding is to take the plunge of new scenery, particularly if you don't have family ties. Try a mountain bike to avoid the cars etc!!!

................snip..........................

Not even the street sweepers trying to do some late shopping could put me down.

OR the Dude who Mistook me for a Police/ Emergency vehicle and took evasive action, pulling off the road and tried to take me with.

Returning 2h30 later feeling excited and peaceful.

I had so much great thoughts while cycling!

With my bike stored 40km away and at a new job, l did not even have time to test ride my new bike. A month since I have been on a bike. You have just made my mind for me. l will make time to go and ride my bike TODAY. l need it.

I always think of that demo that the " 7 habits" guys do with the rocks, the sand, the coffee and the beer. Your problem is you always prioritize work. Even Stephen Covey tells you to do it different. I have never forgotten his course and often retread them.

It's called sharpening the saw, and its one of the habits. It needs to be a priority

If I think of how many times I have been riding with the weight of the world on my shoulders, only to return with a much lighter step.

I always think of that demo that the " 7 habits" guys do with the rocks, the sand, the coffee and the beer. Your problem is you always prioritize work. Even Stephen Covey tells you to do it different. I have never forgotten his course and often retread them.

It's called sharpening the saw, and its one of the habits. It needs to be a priority

If I think of how many times I have been riding with the weight of the world on my shoulders, only to return with a much lighter step.

......... proving that you have an IQ much higher than 2 ;)

It is just amazing how cycling, or any form of quality cardio workout can pick your mood up. I have been off the bike for 6 weeks recently due to an overuse injury of the hamstring attachment to the sitting bone. (I could not sit on the saddle without pain). During this time problems on the farm due to the drought, and personal problems with relatives seemed like a huge mountain in front of me. Since I started peddling again everything seems much rosier. Nothing changed ITO my financial or personal problems, but somehow I gained perspective. Without regular cardio I will often go into a deep downward emotional spiral. What's more I have often returned home after a ride with a solution to a problem that have been bugging me for days. I find my cycling to be a huge help ITO problem solving and stress relieving.

............................................. I find my cycling to be a huge help ITO problem solving and stress relieving.

Agreed.The only non-cardio thing that comes even close, is clay pigeon shooting. To smash those quick little orange bastards to smithereens (wow, that sounds vary violent) will make anyone feel better......but not for as long as a good bike ride.

Guest Latent Blue

Troubled thoughts always seem toe neatly order themselves and become alot smaller during a bike ride...

After the last two weeks I also do need one!!!

I become an irrate prickly poephol when I dont cycle...