Best trails for a Cape trip (AM/Enduro vibe)

Beer4Recovery

Hey bro!

Well, here's a bit of info for you...

In terms of where to be based, there are a number of options.

If you're thinking of broadening your riding areas, I'd suggest getting a place in the Northern Suburbs, like Durbanville and surrounding areas. That way you're within 30 minutes of Tokai, Stellies, Somerset West and various other places. Plus the rentals are a bit cheaper out that end, and you have some fantastic places as B&B's out there. Don't know many of them, but I know they're there.

As for riding spots:

Tokai (basically all of Tokai, although the trails are limited there at the moment) as well as some trails in Silvermine area and Table Mountain (more XC style here)

Jonkers - truly amazing, or so I'm told.

Contermanskloof - lots of XC, but also a DH line for the more adventurous (rideable on trail bikes)

G Spot (stellies) - very nice.

Oak Valley - pristine, but a bit further out so you may want to do a day trip there

Delvera wine farm - some Very nice trails, but with hellish climbs as well. Bring your lungs.

There are other places which I haven't mentioned, but as I said above - best place to base yourself if you're going to roam around will be in the N Subs and particularly Durbanville. Easy access to both sides, and easy access to CT proper and everything else.

S Subs accommodation is pretty pricey, and then you'd be 45 - 60 mins outside everything else apart from Tokai / Silvermine. S / West is good, but then the same applies as in S Subs - you have to travel further to get to places other than S West.

Either way, good luck dude.

hey mayhem,

is contermanskloof worthwhile? I will be in northern suburbs on Saturday next week , and was looking for a decent couple trails close by.

is it fine to ride alone?

hey mayhem,

is contermanskloof worthwhile? I will be in northern suburbs on Saturday next week , and was looking for a decent couple trails close by.

Afaik yeah fine to ride alone. Don't ride there myself though so I don't know it well.

hey mayhem,

It's fine to ride alone. Only "dangerous" part is the black DH line. I wouldn't ride that on my own. Blue lap plus the green lap would be a nice route. Or do the blue lap then head over to Hoogekraal for a lap or two. Although you will need to buy *another* permit at Hoogekraal, it has a pretty fun downhill.

Jonkershoek is probably the best spot so I would recommend staying in Stellenbosch. Somerset West is also a good spot to stay as it is very central to all the riding spots and if you pm me I could organize you a ride on Lourensford.http://www.capetownmagazine.com//media_lib/r2/220257af21ec0c95ac7d0690ea7c99af.img.jpg

It will be strange once all the pines have been cut down and not replanted