Whey protien and recovery drink

wozman

Once tried it and got myself one of those large long-life SteriStumpie's for a long weekend of training. Worked like a charm. :thumbup:

Go and see a sports nutritionist with the investment you have made in the Epic with entry fees, equipment etc... it is money worth spending, they can tell you should eat and drink while riding, give you a daily meal plan, tell you what you should use to recover depending on the type of workout and what you want to do while racing.

Try see one of the sports nutritionist at the Sports Science institute, when I did the Epic this was the best few Hundred Ronts that I spent, I still use the advise that she gave me for Ironman etc...

Didn't quite understand the OP properly, but I assume you intend on taking whey after rides.

As someone else said Optimum Nutrition is generally regarded as the best whey protein on the market, however it's twice the price of anything locally produced, and I don't think it's worth it.

When you finish a ride you need whey protein to begin repairing your muscles, but you also need to restock your glycogen stores with some carbs. So It's not really an issue if you get a "meal replacement" which has a bunch of carbs in it anyway, because your body needs them.

If you do want to go for a pure whey, really the quality boils down to the quantity of Whey Isolates versus quantity of Whey Concentrates. Whey Isolates have a higher biological value and therefore your body can synthesise the protein faster and begin muscle repair quicker, but whey isolates are a lot more expensive to produce...

Anyway long story short, when looking at a protein on the shelf, if you look at the ingredient list, and whey isolate is listed before whey concentrate then you have yourself a pretty quality protein.

(A lot of companies advertise whey isolate in their proteins, and then only like 5% is isolates, so if you check the order in the ingredient list you can avoid being hoodwinked).

You can also compare amino acid profiles of your different proteins, your BCAA's (Branch Chain Amino Acids) are the really important ones, which are Leucine, Isoleucine & Valine. Also glutamine is an important essential amino acid. So basically a high quality protein will have a greater quantity of these per 100g than a low quality protein.

Not sure which products to advice, but some info I've gathered:

Your body can only take up 27grams of protein per every 2-3hours. So no need to overdose on protein.

I've felt that only using whey after long rides that I still felt drained. Hence I've switched to recovery drinks, then later during the day and before bed whey.

Hope it helps.

So a 120kg guy can only absorb 27-30g protein, and a 50kg guy can absorb the same???

The amount of protein your body can absorb is actually directly proportional to your body weight, the max your body can absorb is actually 1g per pound of body weight. And this is only if you are training really hard, ie guys doing a lot of weight training. And a cyclist won't be able to absorb this much protein as say a body-builder.