KZN DH Champs 6th July

nigelhicks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and tomorrow is supposed to be a machine of a day! ... So track may be a bit slick first thing - but should be prime come racing at 12

Louis F D Smith was on track earlier and said it was a bit slick and slow in places ... but was ok ... so should be good for tomorrow

What a day! Now THAT is a proper big boy's track. Well done Nige and co. I am assuming that the Worlds track will be starting from much higher up...?

The day started off well. Shuttles sucked until we suggested taking the canopies off of the bakkies..... LONG shuttle to the top. Practise went well. This was a first time look at the track track for me so very cautious. No spills in practise! The top was fine. Landing at Haibo looked a bit slick but turned out to be fine (for those with big enough nuts to jump it....) Top half was nice. Bottom section through the trees and down to the finish was slick to start with but ended up very lekka!

The track ate a few riders and bikes as well. Quite a few injuries. Anybody know how Kate is doing? She went down somewhere between Dr Evil and the N3 Tables. Course closed. Suspected spinal and a right clavical from what we heard.

Congrats to all the winners and looking forward to riding that track again to get the lines right! Looks like it is will be amazing when it is dry.

Shuttles sucked until we suggested taking the canopies off of the bakkies..... LONG shuttle to the top.

Well that shuttle is no where near as long as the one right to the top ... thats the only way to get up to that portion of the track as a shuttle - and takes about 15min up ... So its just something we have to live with if we are going to run big tracks.

We were supposed to have 3 trailers - but 2 of them never pitched.

Well that shuttle is no where near as long as the one right to the top ... thats the only way to get up to that portion of the track as a shuttle - and takes about 15min up ... So its just something we have to live with if we are going to run big tracks.

We were supposed to have 3 trailers - but 2 of them never pitched.

No worries. The ride to the top was about that long (Even longer if you sat behind the driver.... on top of the exhaust.... Got a bit warm there!!!) The trailer went the long way around . Doubt it would have made it up where the bakkies without trailers went... The longer track was very cool though. Really looking forward to riding it again!

Yeah, shuttles sucked to start with. Thanks to all those who offered up there personal vehicles and actually made the event happen TBH. I was on the 1st shuttle up and then waited over 45mins for the next shuttle. Fortunately it all worked out.

Track was a bit damp and windy to start with. A lot of guys nearly came short on the step down after the gully. Track dried out fast and was primed for the slightly delayed race runs.

I binned it in my 1st race run where the new 4X section reenters the old track. Front disappeared and I slid head first down the track. Then wiped out trying to get back up the hill to my bike.

2nd run I took it a lot easier on the top section, smashed out the new Jugs Big One and kept it fairly tidy to the finish.

Cool day out for sure.

The update I have of Kate is that she only broke her collar bone. No spinal injuries. :thumbup:

[EDIT to add] Currently they do not intend to operate and will give the collarbone a week or so to sort itself out. If it doesn't slot back into place then she'll get chopped n plated.

Edited by Super_mil

Yeah, shuttles sucked to start with. Thanks to all those who offered up there personal vehicles and actually made the event happen TBH. I was on the 1st shuttle up and then waited over 45mins for the next shuttle. Fortunately it all worked out.

Track was a bit damp and windy to start with. A lot of guys nearly came short on the step down after the gully. Track dried out fast and was primed for the slightly delayed race runs.

I binned it in my 1st race run where the new 4X section reenters the old track. Front disappeared and I slid head first down the track. Then wiped out trying to get back up the hill to my bike.

2nd run I took it a lot easier on the top section, smashed out the new Jugs Big One and kept it fairly tidy to the finish.

Cool day out for sure.

The update I have of Kate is that she only broke her collar bone. No spinal injuries. :thumbup:

[EDIT to add] Currently they do not intend to operate and will give the collarbone a week or so to sort itself out. If it doesn't slot back into place then she'll get chopped n plated.

Thanks. Any idea which part of the track was responsible? I saw the tapes down just after the drop into the gulley. Might even have been after the gulley exit just before the bumpy section leading to the Tables run up.

Thanks. Any idea which part of the track was responsible? I saw the tapes down just after the drop into the gulley. Might even have been after the gulley exit just before the bumpy section leading to the Tables run up.

I'm not sure of the exact location (I'll ask Kath Fourie to contact her), but I expect it happened at the entrance or just as she entered the gully. Things can get quite exciting there sometimes.

[EDIT] I was way wrong! Happened on the chicken line through Dr Evil apparently.

Edited by Super_mil

I'm not sure of the exact location (I'll ask Kath Fourie to contact her), but I expect it happened at the entrance or just as she entered the gully. Things can get quite exciting there sometimes.

[EDIT] I was way wrong! Happened on the chicken line through Dr Evil apparently.

Thanks. She must have travelled then with all the tape that was missing. Nadia said her bike was quite far from where she was lying! Healing vibes to Kate. Lets hope the surgeon's knife stays in the drawer.

Knee could be better Grebel. Ended up in the ER Sat night. Aubrey dropped me of at home and I could not even walk into the house. After some x rays,meds and a set of cruthces I'm better. Seeing the Ortho tomorrow to check ligaments etc. House the shoulder Grebel? Oh and one more casualty was Aubrey's bike. Cracked rear end.

sho ... so a seasons worth of short play tracks and I put you okes on 3/4 of a mans track and it eats you up and spits you all out ....

HMMMM

Considered myself schooled in the art of face-planting after Saturday. Managed to go over that bars 3 times and hit a bank at least once. Last fall broke the clamp of my shifter, and I decided to call it a day. With the track so slick I managed to fall at places where I never had a problem before.

Bruised and battered this morning, but hey, I am still in one piece, and that's all that count!

Knee could be better Grebel. Ended up in the ER Sat night. Aubrey dropped me of at home and I could not even walk into the house. After some x rays' date='meds and a set of cruthces I'm better. Seeing the Ortho tomorrow to check ligaments etc. House the shoulder Grebel? Oh and one more casualty was Aubrey's bike. Cracked rear end.

[/quote']

Hectic!! Hope it is nothing serious!

Dislocations are never fun... stiff on Sunday and stiffer on Monday!

Guess Aub's shopping... or visiting Keith Clayton... or Morewood....

Insurance?