Upgrade components or buy new bike?

Bub Marley

Hi Guys

This is my first post here and I hope some of you could help me make a decision.

I currently have a Cannondale Roadbike, Aluminium frame with Shimano 105 components. The bike is over 10 years old and has served me quite well. I was thinking of upgrading to something more later but I was amazed at how much a brand new bike costs. I think a Cannondale CAAD8 with 105 components on will cost me around 15k which is a bit much. However I can buy a CAAD8 with Tiagra components for a bit less but would I really be upgrading? To me it seems more of a downgrade.

The other option would be to use the money and do a complete upgrade of my components. Maybe go one up to Ultegra or try something like Campy Athena and keep my bike. Is this a worthwhile thing to do?

I could ofcourse try second hand but again, I can't really find any decent second hand ones with better components than I currently have for around 10k.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Any Cannondale from back then is a bike that will never break.

I have a nearly 14 year old Cad 3 and its brilliant.

I wouldn't bother with a Caad 8 if anything get a Caad 10, as light as most carbon frames. Really good bike.

Otherwise like you said, Campag Athena 11 speed is what I would do.

Either way any Cannondale Alu frame will last a very long time.

What Cannondale are you currently riding, Caad 5?

I think mine is CAAD3 as well. It's been so long that I can't remember. I bought it second hand though and it's still going strong. The components need to be changed though as they're starting to deteriorate but the frame is still very strong.

I'm gonna go view a Pinarello FP1 road bike today. Also aluminium frame but has Tiagra components on them. Bike is in excellent condition according to owner. I'm a bit worried about going from 105 to Tiagra as it is a downgrade but the frame should definitely be an upgrade as it's lighter.

I think mine is CAAD3 as well. It's been so long that I can't remember. I bought it second hand though and it's still going strong. The components need to be changed though as they're starting to deteriorate but the frame is still very strong.

I'm gonna go view a Pinarello FP1 road bike today. Also aluminium frame but has Tiagra components on them. Bike is in excellent condition according to owner. I'm a bit worried about going from 105 to Tiagra as it is a downgrade but the frame should definitely be an upgrade as it's lighter.

Not sure about your size, but if you are tall and strong and maybe a bit on the heavy side, stick with 'Dale. They make strong bikes.

If its a Cad 3, the save up for a Caad 10. Its really a magic frame.

IMO, I wouldn't downgrade to Tiagra also not a fan of those Pinarello frames. But that's just me.

Not sure about your size, but if you are tall and strong and maybe a bit on the heavy side, stick with 'Dale. They make strong bikes.

If its a Cad 3, the save up for a Caad 10. Its really a magic frame.

IMO, I wouldn't downgrade to Tiagra also not a fan of those Pinarello frames. But that's just me.

I'm actually pretty short. My height is 1.68m.

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna make a turn at CWC and see what groupsets they can offer me and take it from there.

The Green and Black 'Dale is my 14 year old Cad 3 with 10 speed Ultegra.

Still as strong as the day I bought it.

Its worth keeping the frame, maybe you van use it as a training bike. Resale would be bad, so not even worth selling.

post-35520-0-35509100-1373538771_thumb.jpg

A modern 10sp Tiagra would be far better than a 10 year old 9sp 105. The aluminium Pinarellos are over priced, you could go carbon for that. For R10k, you may find an Axis full carbon with 105, brand new.

My opinion on this matter:

Keep your bike. If it's scratched/worn, strip down the frame, sand it down and get it resprayed with decals etc. If all components are still in good working condition then good, if not then upgrade them.

Regrease/lube all components when putting them back. Put on some new bar tape and your bike will look and ride like new.

Maybe sell your current groupset and get an ultegra groupset.

It's better than selling your trustworthy bike and getting a 2nd hand bike that might be worn etc.

Believe me if your bike is resprayed with new decals, some new bar tape and an ultegra groupset, it will be better than buying something with a tiagra groupset. Hell you could even buy a new 10spd 105 groupset.

Edited by Wimmas

You could get your frame resprayed with new decals, bar tape and put on a 10spd ultegra groupset for R10k.

I'm surprised that no-one has said to seriously consider buying second hand.

I bought a carbon 2006 Koga Full Pro Lite (bike featured in TdF 2007) with full Dura Ace components and Mavic Kysrium SL wheels for R20K. This was 4 years ago. I replaced the rear cassette shortly after I bought it (needed different gearing) and just replaced the BB (R500). Otherwise nothing major besides the usual brake pads, chains and tyres. Hubs are still perfect and the wheels have never needed truing.This bike cost about R50000 new at the time (in Euro's).

I would only ever buy second hand - preferably from someone who treats their bikes well!

So I went down to CWC and the guy quoted me R 8900 for a complete Ultegra set & R5900 for 105. He also quoted around 6k for Campy Veloce. He said even if I upgrade to the current 105, it would already be a major upgrade from the 105 from 10 years back.

I also checked out some new bikes there and he quoted me about 18k for CAAD10 with 105 components, 13k for CAAD8 with 105 components. They also had a Merida Full Carbon with 105 components for 14k.

Decisions, decisions.

Try Merlin cycles in the UK for group sets.

They normally do a bundle style where you can buy Levers and Front and Rear Derailer, the if you want you can buy the rest later.

My colleague got Ultegra for R6500.00 landed in SA. This was about 4 months ago though.

http://www.merlincyc...set-grey-1.html

http://www.merlincyc...0-gear-kit.html

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/transmission/gear-sti-ergo-levers/shimano-ultegra-6700-sti-gear-kit.html

The Ultegra gear kit is cheaper that STI lever only from CWC.

Also if you buy it like this, no import duties and no VAT. Thats first hand from my colleague.

Edited by quintonb