Removing ESI grips with compressed air

Eldron

I know i sound like a dodgy oke but what did you do with the ESI end caps, i'm looking for a set or 1 :whistling:

I have a few - old style and new - lemme know what you need...

Just cut a few mm off your bars and voila - same line and you get to keep your caps! Damn I'm good at giving advice.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The plot thickens........

Easy okes. I use it to get a lekker kuif in my under arm hair.

Just cut a few mm off your bars and voila - same line and you get to keep your caps! Damn I'm good at giving advice.

Worst advise you have ever given :eek:

When in doubt, buy 2 x good bottles of wine and use the corks in the ends of the bars. Caution: DO NOT CUT OR FIT THE CORKS JUST AFTER CONSUMING THE 2 X BOTTLES OF WINE .... give it a day before fitting.

Worst advise you have ever given :eek:

When in doubt, buy 2 x good bottles of wine and use the corks in the ends of the bars. Caution: DO NOT CUT OR FIT THE CORKS JUST AFTER CONSUMING THE 2 X BOTTLES OF WINE .... give it a day before fitting.

WHAT? It was better advice than my initial thought which was "just ride slower - then you don't need to take tight lines".

WHAT? It was better advice than my initial thought which was "just ride slower - then you don't need to take tight lines".

A more appropriate reply would have been to advise the person to rather buy a new bike with narrower bars and new grips ..... what is happening to you ... Friday slow day?

Friday slow day?

Quite!

By Friday all my intellimagence has been depleterated.

Edit: Or in the words of my esteemed colleague "I can't brain today - I have the dumb".

Edited by Eldron

I'm riding 600mm bars as it is, shave them down to 598 (only on 1 side tho cos that's where i hit)

I'm keen on the plastic cap with the clear silicone/rubber, more for safety than aesthetics. If bike gets dropped (read as - dumb@$$ fall) that it doesn't fill with 6' of sand or pierce the bodily parts. Also doesn't lean on the bar when leaned against walls or windows cos mtbing involves coffee!

Going to put mine on tonight. Havent been on the bike in a while - dying of bronchitis then went on holiday...

So hairspray is the way to go then?

Going to put mine on tonight. Havent been on the bike in a while - dying of bronchitis then went on holiday...

So hairspray is the way to go then?

Almost any volatile liquid will work - as long as it doesn't have an oil base.

Wheelsuck recommended Windolene - it also works.

I like the hair spray because it leaves a slightly tacky residue.

I've heard methylated spirits works too.

It takes 2 mins to pop them on - super easy job.

I'm riding 600mm bars as it is, shave them down to 598 (only on 1 side tho cos that's where i hit)

I'm keen on the plastic cap with the clear silicone/rubber, more for safety than aesthetics. If bike gets dropped (read as - dumb@$$ fall) that it doesn't fill with 6' of sand or pierce the bodily parts. Also doesn't lean on the bar when leaned against walls or windows cos mtbing involves coffee!

You've been PMd. Love your work son :-)

Seems I'm part-OCD! The other part is completely the opposite... My study is a mess, my bike gets washed when I get the chance (but definitely after wet rides), my wallet takes whatever comes it's way in whatever sequence, etc...

But DON'T let my bars be even hinting at skewishness or my grips not lined up properly or the loo paper not "over" - I crack!

BTW, my removal procedure for ESI grips was as follows. Use knife on ESI's, add ODI's, line up, twist around, before closing completely align bar end logo's, ride, smile. :ph34r:

Anyone else also like the toilet paper rolling over like a waterfall and randela notes must be placed in wallet from small to big and facing the same way with receipts in the second sleeve.

Thats me

You've been PMd. Love your work son :-)

Fanks pops.

I use WindowCleaner to get em on & off. Since reading this thread, my girlfriends compressor has another use :)

PS....why do we want them off nicely in any case unless you moving them to another bike?

Fanks pops.

I use WindowCleaner to get em on & off. Since reading this thread, my girlfriends compressor has another use :)

PS....why do we want them off nicely in any case unless you moving them to another bike?

Changing brakes, changing handlebars, changing shifters.

Edit: Adding a bell.

http://cdn.poketo.com/shop/image/cache/data/accessories/bike_bell_gold_env-460x460.jpg

Edited by MTB Marinio

I'm sure many others have done this but first time for me...

I always thought it wouldn't work - always fiigured the air would escape and not move the grip.... Boy was I wrong.

Jammed the air gun under the inside of the grip then squeezed around the nozzle with my forefinger and thumb to create some pressure. It took less than a minute to get both off.

Sweet - another use for my compressor.

I used 5 bar.

I still put the grips on with hair spray - it allows me time to get the grip exactly how I want it. I have hectic OCD so the end of the grip must be EXACTLY flush with the end of the bar and the thicker section of the grips must be EXACTLY where my hand goes. Can't really do that with air...

They have a thicker section?! I just gobbed into mine and it slid on with a little effort.