vredetein mtb tyres

ZelG

Hi, were the tyres of choice of the Rabobank pro team that rode the Epic, we did their service backup, no problems at all.

I used them as well, good all round performance.

I tested and reviewed the Spotted cat by Vredestein (on my blog link below) and just fitted a Black Panther 29x 2.20 yesterday. I rode it this morning with good initial feeling. I still need to get the pressures set up right, it can go lower than my Fastraks I normally run.

What ground conditions will you be using it in?

The Extreme version is a good mud/wet loam condition tire. The standard version is better in the dry and at the end of the Month the Xtrac version will be the best of both at 620g

The Extreme is 680g so its quite weighty. Std is around 620g

Edited by Zilla

Looks to me like the Rabobank boys used the prototype version that became the Black Panther Xtrac. I'm personally looking forward to the xtrac release due in two weeks.

http://www.crank.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DSC00165.jpg

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_ca/news/2010/CapeEpic_Finish.jpg

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/images/product_images/big/vredestein-black-panther-xtrac-tyre.jpg

hi, think it will be more dry rocky conditions(big rokcs). but there can be mud as well. Steapy rocky downhills. at the moment I have maxxis crosmark only sealant tyres. thought they were tubeless tyres but not. get so easy punctures especially sidewalls.

need something that stick around the corners. vredestein then sounds good. the UST maxxis ei a lot extra weight

I find the sidewalls of the Black Panther perfectly strong enough. Its a proper Tubeless tire. I can seat them and they hold air for a long time with no sealant at all.

What wheels have you got? The bead is very tight but will go on to a ZTR rim. On Mavic/Shimano etc they will work great.

I just fitted a black Panther on a ZTR arch. They are super tight but will work. Take it this way... You won't burp it!!

Attakwas has a lot of shale. I don't think the terrain in Mankele is quite so demanding as Atta. That race is brutal on everything.

I had a black panther extreme as a front tyre for about a year.

It's a pretty capable front tyre that offers plenty of grip, they last long as well.

I currently run a kenda karma at the front with a black panther (just the regular one) at the back, and i mustsay iam not too impressed. It seems to lack grip in the important places. It's quite loosearound the corners.

But then again with a karma in front i think most tyres will feel loose in the corners.

Edited by RocknRolla

I had a black panther extreme as a front tyre for about a year.

It's a pretty capable front tyre that offers plenty of grip, they last long as well.

I currently run a kenda karma at the front with a black panther (just the regular one) at the back, and i mustsay iam not too impressed. It seems to lack grip in the important places. It's quite loosearound the corners.

But then again with a karma in front i think most tyres will feel loose in the corners.

I read a couple of reviews on the standard BP and many said that the loss of braking power and grip on wet roots and rock was because of the fast center line of knobs. Rolling resistance is low but then so is grip. One "fix' was to cut off the small in between blocks to open the tread line up the middle for more grip. I'll try this as part of the testing on mine but the xtracversion will solve this by design.

So far I have not found the best pressure to run, initial turn in feels slower (than a fastrak 2.0), but that's to be expected with bigger side knobs to get onto and a wider tire, I haven't had any issues with front end grip

Edited by Zilla

think I will just get the maxxis crossmark lust ust tyres again.. they are a bit heavier but at least I know they last and have grip.they were on my previous bike never any problems.

they are at cw R450 per tyre. the ones I have now also maxxis crossmark but not tubeless tyres only sealant. struggling with sidewall cuts?

The Vredestein is way better than a Crossmark - the crossmark rolls well but is rubbish in the wet and worst of all is completely unpredictable as to when its going to let go in the corners... grip one second and then nothing.

I would suggest the Vredestein Black Panther standard version if you want to buy right now to wait two weeks for the XTRAC version - you'll be happy.