Advantages of "upgrading wheels"

martinsnyman

HIJACK ON

I've currently got the Bontrager Mustang wheelset which came standard with my Trek Superfly. I have been thinking about upgrading the wheelset but I cannot decide between the ZTR Crests on Hope Hubs or the American Classic standard wheelset(might consider the Race)

I weigh 78kg's

What will the best option be for me?

HIJACK OFF

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are good I know a few guys riding American classics with no more issues than you get with the other rims and hubs, there are some major issues with the backup service with eastons.

Just going back on an earlier post, the fastest and biggest weight saving as well as best weight loss to cost is on your wheels and fork there after your losses are minor and costs huge, that is why most will recommend those two area's of saving first and also they are items easy transferred to any future upgrade without loss and cost so one can buy a cheaper spec'd bike in the future and cross fit your better wheel set fork etc and by selling the old bike with new kit on it you create a better incentive for some one to buy it as well as reduces your chances of come backs. It is wise to investment in a good wheel set as your first upgrade as it can last you a very long time.

• 1 year later...

Howzit,

didnt want to start a new thread, so need some advice. I have a 29er hardtail that im always trying look at ways to make it light but bombproof....so im not a weight weenie at all. Busy changing over from 36 spoke heavy wheel to 32 spoke. Front wheel is done, with 20mm thru axle. Now for the back wheel.

The rim\hoop(without spokes) is 530 gr. Its more of an AM wheel...which suits me fine. The problem is ive got cheap heavy spokes. So i want to upgrade the rear hub obvioulsy to a 32 spoke hub and double butted spokes front and back.

Will this type of "upgrade" give me a strong rim, and will the weight saving be noticeable or negligible?

So in a long winded nutshell, Going 36 spoke to 32 spoke, with double butted spokes....weightsaving?....strength?

Edited by Fabian46