Lengthening an Integrated Seat Post

SpecialK

I bought a second hand carbon road bike with an integrated seat post (not the most intelligent thing to do), and when I took the bike for an initial spin, everything felt fine. In the meantime, I have started to develop a niggling pain on the inside of my right knee during long rides, so today I took the bike for a professional fitting.

Surprise, surprise: the saddle is too low - along with one or two other things that need to be changed on the bike which aren't an issue.

So my problem now is that I need to gain 16mm in saddle height, but the seatpost has been cut too low. When lifting the seatpost cap to its desired height, the fastening mechanism barely catches on the inside, so there is not enough stability for the saddle.

A 27.2 seatpost does fit, but that would mean cutting into the frame to install a clamp and I loathe to go this route as I like the look of the ISP and hate the thought of taking a blade to the frame.

Does anyone know of a person that would take on a carbon repair like this in South Africa? I have searched on the internet but could only locate people either in the USA, the UK or Australia.

I actually just had the same problem. All I did was buy a seat clamp working for me and has extra length.

Fit the seat post and epoxy the sawn off part on the IS as a faux piece increasing the mass of your ride. The saw line can be filled with body putty, sanded and repainted in black, luckily an easy colour.

That sawn of part is not load bearing I assume??????

Edited by Big H*

It is part of the ISP seat post so it is load bearing?

Fit the seat post and epoxy the sawn off part on the IS as a faux piece increasing the mass of your ride. The saw line can be filled with body putty, sanded and repainted in black, luckily an easy colour.

Its not that simple, apparently. As soon as its not fitted exactly 100% and is out by a fraction of a millimetre, then the cap doesn't go on properly. We tried adding the spacer back, but with no luck, as the clamp on the inside of the cap is right on the joint line which is the weak point of the whole construction.

I apparently have 3 options:

1. try find a carbon guy to lengthen

2. epoxy the cap onto the seat post but then no-one will EVER change the height of the saddle

3. retrofit a seat post

Its not that simple, apparently. As soon as its not fitted exactly 100% and is out by a fraction of a millimetre, then the cap doesn't go on properly. We tried adding the spacer back, but with no luck, as the clamp on the inside of the cap is right on the joint line which is the weak point of the whole construction.

I apparently have 3 options:

1. try find a carbon guy to lengthen

2. epoxy the cap onto the seat post but then no-one will EVER change the height of the saddle

3. retrofit a seat post

I'd go with #1 and if it doesn't work you can revert to #3

I think this is a reasonably easy repair. I've done similar jobs on carbon steerers with great success.

The trick is to make a lug that fits inside. In this case, a single round(ish) lug will do. Aluminium is best. The lug should fit tight but have flutes along its length so that the epoxy can flow through. Expoxy works best with a 2mm layer and nice deep flutes, maybe even criss-crossed, will do the trick.

Once the expoxy has made a structural bond it will take just a bit of finishing on the outside, with a few drops of fresh resin, to smooth the outside off so that it doesn't interfere with the clamp.

They beauty of a lug is that it will give you plenty of warning should it fail, whereas a direct bond not.

I'd go with #1 and if it doesn't work you can revert to #3

Option 4:

Took everything apart, might be able to get away with a longer bolt and a few washers to lower the fixing point further down into the seatpost.

Fingers crossed

Option 4:

Took everything apart, might be able to get away with a longer bolt and a few washers to lower the fixing point further down into the seatpost.

Fingers crossed

:thumbup: