swim sets

mon-goose

That's what I was getting at, its great if you can kick well then you use it, but if you are just an average or useless kicker then rather focus on technique rather than trying to improve the strength of your kick.

Another thing kicking is also good for.... it gives your shoulders a rest during training

BTW, what is the f/s in your set mean?

It does help to take strain off the arms.

F/s = freestyle ;)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

200m recovery - fly drill - 25 mellada/25 one arm alternating every 2nd stroke

8x50 f/s @ '50

200m recovery - backstroke drill - 25 double touch/ 25 6 kick drill

8x50 f/s @ '45

200m recovery breastroke drill - 25m 3 kick pull/ 25 normal

can you expalin the bold underlined sets?

How do you do a one arm fly drill?

200m recovery - fly drill - 25 mellada/25 one arm alternating every 2nd stroke

8x50 f/s @ '50

200m recovery - backstroke drill - 25 double touch/ 25 6 kick drill

8x50 f/s @ '45

200m recovery breastroke drill - 25m 3 kick pull/ 25 normal

can you expalin the bold underlined sets?

How do you do a one arm fly drill?

Mellada - right arm, left arm, both (normal fly stroke) when doing the one arm - breath to the side not to the front.

Double touch - take normal stroke as hand touches the water bring back to hip and then do normal stroke (double touch)

One arm fly drill - swim normal butterfly but only one arm - so take two strokes with right arm and then go over to two strokes with left arm - I normally breath first stroke, second stroke head down - switch to other arm breath and next stroke head down. Focus here on getting your rhythm and timing of pull/kick right - you should be kicking as your hand enters the water and then second kick as you pull, this will help create a smooth undulation through the water. The one armed fly works bests to practice this.

Recovery drills are done with fins - except for breaststroke of course.

Hope that is clear enough for you. I will look for some video examples this weekend and post them.

Drills are a great way to pop in as recovery swims in between high intensity sets. Pop fins on to aid in recovery. Pay special attention to the technique the drill is focusing on. Drills also help to stretch out and warm up muscles before sessions. So always good to try incorporate some form of drill somewhere in your swim set.

hehe

Better than Full Speed...

In that set on Tuesday - F/s definitely stood for full speed! I was spent after!

I'm still trying to figure it out in mind how "one arm flies" are physically possible.... I can't even really do the normal fly. Will try it this afternon

@Ilana: I am humbled in the presence of superheroes.

One armed fly!

Hardly superhero stuff ;) It is a lot easier to do than normal fly esp if you are looking to introduce a form stroke into your normal routine for variety. It takes time to build up to swimming a length of fly - this is a good way to do that.

I'm still trying to figure it out in mind how "one arm flies" are physically possible.... I can't even really do the normal fly. Will try it this afternon

Think of it as doing a "fly-catch up". Let me know how it goes. Will film it tonight and post.

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoy the following for a simple but effective set:

300m warm-up - free, backstroke, breaststroke, whatever.

1 x 400m

2 x 200m

4 x 100m

2 x 200m

1 x 400m

200m cool down - whatever.

= 2500m

You can do the above with paddles / no paddles or alternating.

The key is to do the main sets with intensity and try go 10s/100m faster as the distance of each set comes down. So if you do the 400m at 1m40 / 100m pace (leave on 8min), then do the 200s at 1m30 pace (leave on 4min), and the 100s at 1m20 pace (leave on 2 min). Obviously you can change times and rest periods depending on your swimming ability.

• 3 weeks later...

can across what was called the "broken 500's set" on http://gordsswimlog.blogspot.com/ and decided to make up my own 500 sets. Made up the following:

The total is 10 000m but I'll work up to doing the full one

500 warmup

500 pull

500 250 back stroke 250 breast

500 100 free / 100 fast / 100 free / 100 fast / 100 free

500 10 * (25 kick / 25 free)

500 free

500 5*100 fast

500 catchup and focus on stroke

500 pull

500 easy

500 5*100 fast

500 easy

500 250 back stroke 250 breast

500 100 free / 100 fast / 100 free / 100 fast / 100 free

500 easy

500 pull

500 breaststroke

500 easy

500 easy

500 easy

Edited by mon-goose

and I'm sure they do

Quick question. I am new to swimming training and the sets don't make complete sense to me. I think it is just some of the terminology I don't understand. What is catchup and pull?

Do you have any recommendations for sets of about 1500-2000m or should I just look to scale down some of the sets that have been listed? I am just looking to improve my speed (although less important at this point) and my endurance.

pull - don't use your legs. you can either put a pull float between your legs to keep them up or just drag your legs. I just drag mine

catch up - one arms stays extended in front of you until the other arm has completed a full stroke and is also fully extended in front of you. You don't start the next stroke until both arms are fully extended in front of you.

PM you email address as I have a 20 week build up program you can take a look at and it has loads of sets between 1km and 2km. And I've got a few that I've put together