Junior Track Worlds Updates from Glasgow

Matt

The 2013 UCI Juniors Track Cycling World Championships continued throughout the weekend with competitors from all over the world competing for the coveted rainbow stripe jersey at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome in Glasgow, Scotland.

Click here to view the article

I am all for international exposure and experience, but unless these riders return to SA and continue to race track on a regular basis, and so uplift the general standard of Junior racing, this may be money that could have been better spent.

In one of the communications, they excused a riders performance "because the rider had only been riding for 5 months", should riders with so little experience have been sent ?

Would sending these riders to a smaller GP or similar event not been more motivating for the riders than dropping them into the deep end at a World Champs ?

the juniors just don't seem to be progressing.

here are a few results :

team pursuit - 16 out of 19 teams (they still rode a sa record)

10k scratch - 15th out of 18 - rider seemed to content just to make final, same with points race 20/20

Omnium - 19th out of 23

1000m TT - 21 out of 30 and 30 out of 30

lets not event discuss why 1 of our riders missed a 'losers final'

Dalderon the management did not inform him that he has a losers final to ride. They then blame the rider for going home. Sad but true.

The rider got DQ'd

Had he ridden and even if he had come last, he would now have been officially ranked 12't best in the world. Knowing the rider, he could have won the heat, and I believe have been ranked in the top 10.

A top 10 ranking would have opened doors to the rider,

-sponsors

-teams

-invites to international events

-getting into the road to Rio program

-improved his selection chances for commonwealth games

With a DQ, he may as well have stayed at home.

Even his win in the earlier rounds where he eliminated the previous world champ count for nothing other than to the few people that saw it happen.

I agree that the riders should rather be given an opportunity to race Grand Prix and other events internationally, and not have their first international experience at World Champs. I read that the women's keiren was the first keiren that either of these girls had raced! Not only is that unfair on them and WRONG, it's also DANGEROUS!