Buying a rookie bike(Help)

Wesley H

Hi Everyone

My name is Wesley and i'm a new b....went on a trail with a family member and i loved it and i'm hooked....for life...

I'm am looking at buying my 1st bike not necessarily new any ideas on a good but cheap bike i can go look at?

I'v been looking at a Scott aspect 10 2012 model that i can get for a good price and has been serviced regularly just not sure if i'm making the right choice any feed back or help will be much appreciated iv attached a image of the bike so everyone has an idea of what i'm looking at

post-48001-0-50517200-1377062700_thumb.jpg

Good bike, guy in our MTB group has one.

2nd hand if it has its original parts its recon Silver air shock with with XT derailer, Deore front and Shifters. Only thing i don't like are the Alex rims but that can be easily upgraded.

Hello Wesley,

Welcome to the Hub.

or Condolences...not sure anymore.

What kind of riding are you aiming at doing? Long open dirt roads? or more trail orientated riding - what trail did you ride with your family member?

I suggest buying a R5-6000 hardtail. Ride it for about a year to understand what kind of biking you are into.

While enjoying your first bike, speak to lots of people that ride bikes, research on the internet, buy books..etc.

then when you upgrade, you can make an informed decision, on what bike to buy, without the white noise of the sales garb trying to smear off the bike that gives them the biggest margin.

the most important thing about biking is enjoying it....

Thanks for the reply

i wanna do more trail orientated riding and long open dirt roads but i don't wanna spend thousands on a bike between 5k and 8k is my limit

I road a long open dirt road and a bit of trails i went to rietvlei out in jhb south and was great fun and i could see that this is something id like to get into

so as for the bike that a posted with the 1st post what do you guys think?

Here's the specs and i can get it for R4500.00

2012 Scott Aspect 10 XL

Fork: Rock Shox Recon, Silver TK Solo Air with remote lockout

Rear derailer: XT

Front derailer: Deore

Frame: Alloy 6061, XL

26" wheels.

Size good for someone 1.8 meter or taller.