ROAD OR TRI BIKE??????

ShowDem

dont take this the wrong way, but why do triathletes seem to think they need a 'special' bike, surely a conventional road bike is good enough or is it because of the no drafting rule that they want to get stretched out like a TT bike?

No offence - happy to try educate the masses :thumbup:

A tri bike as a specific geometry that is steeper than a typical road bike - this makes you more "aero", and also places different emphasis on the leg muscles that are used in the pedal stroke and opens up your pelvis angle. This is designed so that you used your hamstrings / glutes a little less on the bike, saving them for the run after.

There is actually a big difference in a Triathlon set up vs. a TT (ie Tour de France TT) setup, other than just UCI bike regulations. Because pro cyclists don't need to run after theirTT, they can afford to have a more "narrow" setup, sitting further back and more stretched out.

This might not make much of a difference over shorter distances, but for an IM where you have to ride for 6 hours and then run a marathon, it makes a BIG difference...

thanks, like to learn new things every day......

but I refer you to rule no. 42 :)

Rule #42

// A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

If it’s preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run, it is not called a bike race, it is called duathlon or a triathlon. Neither of which is a bike race. Also keep in mind that one should only swim in order to prevent drowning, and should only run if being chased. And even then, one should only run fast enough to prevent capture.

I only have enough money to buy one bike but not sure what route to go.

I will be doing ironman next year and a few triathlons leading up to it.

Would it be better to buy a good road bike and then just do the conversion for ironman or should I rather go for a tri bike and convert to road for the limited events I do every year?

What is the process for conversion and what does it cost (roughly)?

I think a good question would be: "Are you only planning on doing Ironman and 70.3 distance events? Forever?"

If yes: Then a tri bike is the way to go because of the benefits mentioned earlier.

If no: Then a tri bike will leave you sulking at home when your friends are doing smaller triathlons or road events.

Some shorter triathlons like Jailbreak Lite and Slanghoek Road does allow tri bikes though (I think).

Edited by BlinkFan

You also need to consider whether you are physically able to stay in the low aero position that a tri bike will promote for 6 hours. This requires some conditioning to achieve. A road bike with aero-bars and your seat moved forward will give a less aggressive but easier to maintain position than a tri bike.

You can alter your standard road bike position substantially by getting a saddle like an Adamo and slamming it all the way forward. I move my saddle on my road bike about 6-7cm forward for IM.

If necessary an forward-angled seat post can put you even further forward.

From what I have read and heard I think that the effect of your bike position on the run may be over exaggerated but here are a couple of links to look through that refernece this.

http://www.tri-ecoach.com/art7.htm

http://www.bikesplit.com/bsa3.htm

A tri bike makes a big difference, no mistake, no debate really. However I did 70.3 and a host of shorter tri's on my road bike with clip on bars and was fine, and not really a big difference in speed vs the tri bike (which I now have). After IM there are often quite a few tri bikes going around. I waited patiently until a good deal came up and pounced, my tri bike is absolutely FANTASTIC. I love it and the aero design and position do make a difference in terms of speed on the bike and running comfort off the bike.

That being said, time saved using a tri rig is only a few minutes, I would guess probably 10 min max over IM distance Max (for an 11- 12 hour), over 70.3 the difference is probably way under 5 mins (for a 5:30 ish time).

You want best bang for your buck and you cant really train day in an day out on your tri bike unless you have open roads and little traffic. I would say go for a road bike, with some good aero wheels, felt have some nice aero frames out there. Then look for a tri frame and cockpit and build up a tri bike and share wheels between the two bikes. This has worked out to be the most beneficial to me in terms of cost and use / training.

For interest, I came across this recently, Jody Swallow on bike with drop bars and clip ons, not sure it its a Tri frame or not

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tpdarXCZ3ZA/UXARmuHvPSI/AAAAAAAAAE8/ufxwBAZl_D8/s1600/jodiebikeup.jpg

For interest, I came across this recently, Jody Swallow on bike with drop bars and clip ons, not sure it its a Tri frame or not

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tpdarXCZ3ZA/UXARmuHvPSI/AAAAAAAAAE8/ufxwBAZl_D8/s1600/jodiebikeup.jpg

Cervelo P3 = triathlon specific frame.

This was at IM SA this year - was also interested to see that Jodie rode with drop bars (and had the fastest pro female bike split, nogal). I see she's since changed out the drop bars for TT bars in other races...

Edited by svan