Cycling Clubs and Cyclists beware!!! The Hi jackers are here!

A.S.G. U Suck

We are very proud of this event, the support we receive from cyclists is clearly seen in the growth of the event and especially our sponsors (Bestmed) who have built this event to the quality race it is today.

ag

ASG, this is not what others are saying!!!!! Are you waiting for a cyclist to be killed before taking action. This is all just about the money isn't it?

http://www.bicycling.co.za/event/bestmed-jacaranda-satellite-classic/

caren October 20, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Seriouly I did not feel safe on this cycle race the oncoming traffic is hectic! There was an accident with 20km left to go involving a cyclist and we had to stop and wait for a helicopter to air lift him and when they opened the roads again it was a recipe for disaster! This race should be held on a Sunday won’t be as much traffic!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are very proud of this event, the support we receive from cyclists is clearly seen in the growth of the event and especially our sponsors (Bestmed) who have built this event to the quality race it is today.

ag

ASG, this is not what others are saying!!!!! Are you waiting for a cyclist to be killed before taking action. This is all just about the money isn't it?

Mpumelelo October 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Suicidal to say the least. Roads were extremely busy with speeding cars. Large signage alerting motorists of the race and some marshals on motorbikes would have helped. All the best to the guys involved in the accident at the 75 km mark.

ag

Stuart October 22, 2012 at 8:41 am #

Didnt see any marshals until they were all rushing out to the accident, needed a lot more visibility from them. Roads very busy. The end of the race was chaos, cars trying to leave the parking, cars trying to get up and down the road, cyclists coming all ways, absolute mess! And the organisers ran out of medals, how?

ag

Lizelle October 22, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Have to agree – roads were extremely busy with speeding cars and I didn’t see any marshalls on motorbikes. Also getting to the finish and then back to the parking area was a mission. And there were no toilets at the parking area.

ag

Jacqueline October 22, 2012 at 11:03 am #

I have entered the Jacaranda Bestmed Cycle Race that was hosted at Hartbeespoort on Saturday the 20th of October 2012. I would like express my complete and utter disappointment in this way this race was organized:

• It was a race of a 114km on the road of where the only toilets were at the starting point. Not one toilet / long drop for a 114km is shocking. I had to pull off next to the road after 60km as I kept on driving and hoping for toilet facilities.

• When I finally finished the race you can imagine my disappointment when the people at the finish point told me “sorry they ran out of medals”. I waited for an hour between hundreds of unhappy cyclists and still did not receive my medal. I ultimately had to leave because we came all the way from Nigel.

For a big race like the Jacaranda race this is truly unacceptable – you guys collected R210 – R200 per cyclist and you couldn’t even provide one long drop / toilet at one water point??

Your entries closed on 10 October 2012 – that was sufficient time to seed all cyclists and know exactly how many cyclists to prepare for. How can you run out of medals???

I have entered small charity races which provided me with a much better cycling experience. I will never enter the Jacaranda race again and sadly have nothing to even show for the 94 km which I cycled without any toilet facilities.

Pieter van der Merwe October 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

This was my third Jacaranda Satellite Classic Race and this was by far the most disorganized race especially the start was a total mess. Seems as if there wasn’t enough marshals to handle the start of the race. I’m reconsidering entering next for year’s race.

ag

Craig Howard October 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

I am a mountain biker who rides the “big” road rides for the atmosphere. Saturday’s race was my 2nd Jacaranda Satellite Classic race, and most definitely my last. I do not train on the roads because of the imminent danger. The safety of cyclists, as is evidenced by the severe accident, was not adequately considered.

Receiving a finisher’s medal is one of the reasons I enter races. Even though I did a fairly good time for myself, I feel like I did not even do the race because I did not get a medal. I am therefore very irritated.

I believe that the organisers have created for themselves a huge amount of unnecessary work. You guys have done yourselves, and future JSC races an injustice.

ag

Bev McKenna October 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Yip, agree with all of the above. There needs to be road closure at the start & finish. That was a total disaster. I was just behind the guy who crashed, my friend Linda saw him go down and stopped to help. I rode past about 2 mins later and there was LOTS of blood. The ambulance took more than 45mins to arrive, even after they were told it was a serious head injury!!! I was in the BM group and finish at 11h00 and i am one of the lucky ones to have just received a medal. How did they miscalculate that!!! Agree, shocking organisation especially as it was an Argus seeding event!! SCRAP this one from the seeding calendar!! NOT WORTH IT!!!

ag

Peter October 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Please take cognizance:-

1. Unacceptable that there were no toilets in the parking area.

2. The start and finish logistics are problematical but there are12 months remaining to get it right for the 2013 event.

3. Marshalls were visible and active but with the best will in the world they are not equipped to deal with the impatient and inconsiderate motoring public and high traffic volumes.

4. I also did not get a medal but that is not the end of the world.

5. Looking at the traffic hazards from another perspective. If cyclists insist on riding two and three abreast when there are vehicles travelling at high speeds in both directions they are contributing to the problem. That sort of behaviour is acceptable when there is total road closure.

6. Cara’s suggestion that the event should be moved to a Sunday has merit and should receive serious consideration.

Willem October 23, 2012 at 11:43 am #

Based on my experience in my short cycling ‘carrier’, this race should not be a seeding event. It missed all the important checks, like safety, organising, traffic and professionalism.

I felt totally unsafe on the road with lots of speeding cars and huge trucks. I compare this race to other well organised cycling races as well as my every weekend running races, and the organisers can learn a lot from others, from the start, to the watering points (ie. having sachet instead of cups) to the finish area. The traffic at the end was a mess to say the least.

It was dangerous for the cyclists and the cars took forever (understatement) to get out of the designated parking area.

It is a difficult area to host a race ito traffic and I hope that the organisers can bring about a change for the better for next year.

If not, this race will not be on the calendar for much longer.

ag

http://www.bicycling...ellite-classic/

Emile Botha October 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

This race will not see me again.

Access to start and finish is chaotic as there is only limited space available to pass other cyclists and cars.

There were no toilet facilities in the parking areas.

We had no road marshals and traffic was coming into our bunch within the first 500 meters of the race.

I felt vulnerable as trucks and cars were competing for the same space as the cyclists.

How can they justify a fee of R200 and not deliver the basics of a successful road race?

Edited by Gridrunner

ag

Kenny October 30, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

Crowd was too large for the venue and the roads.

No Medals at the finish!

Do you think that they will send us the medals?

ag

Andy December 5, 2012 at 10:27 am #

Having a race at that venue is always going to be dangerous.

The start/finish should be moved back to the tracking station or another venue found.

There is just too much general traffic on that road and for cyclists and cars to be competing for space in the last few km of a race is a recipe for absolute disaster.

I am surprised that there hasn’t been a serious accident near the finish.

ag

Keith January 24, 2013 at 9:54 am #

I was strongly considering entering this race but after having read the forgoing ratings and comments I will most certainly not. I value my life and safety, admittedly there is a danger factor to cycling, however entering the Jacaranda Classic seems to be pushing your luck. This is quite apart from the pathetic attempt at organization.

ag

Niall March 11, 2013 at 7:28 am #

Traffic was terrible, badly organised day which ended with them running out of medals!

Didn’t feel safe for many parts of the race particularly the end.

Don’t think I will be repeating which is sad because I heard that this was an awesome race.

Hope the organisation improves.

ASG will continue to sponsor and present, now more than 50 cycling events

ag

http://hellopeter.com/asg-events/complaints/3-vehicles-and-3-bicycles-stolen-1127480

And Recently!!!!!

Three vehicles and three bicycles were stolen from the parking lot at Sondela Game Reserve in Bela Bela over the weekend. It was supposed to be a fun weekend full of cycling, but due to lack of security three of our bicycles were stolen off a trailer that they were locked on.

This is the last thing you would expect when going to an event like this and it turned a weekend that we were all looking forward to into something very disappointing.

What is even more disappointing is the way the event organisers handled the situation and not seeming to take responsibility for what happened at all.

Security measures were only put into place when it was too late. On our way out the security was two ladies at the gates asking to see arm bands that they had handed out to every Tom **** and Harry who had driven through those gates on their way in, really a bit of a joke.