First Enduro/AM bike

Nicko

Hi Guys

So I only started riding in the beginning of the year, and have done quite a few xc races this year, they've been fun and great. Then I did the "Giba gravity enduro" which i loved 10 times more than any other race I did, and realised that enduro riding is what I wanna do.

So currently I have a Specialized epic 29er, and its great and everything, but for trail riding I must be honest I don't find it very confidence inspiring. I dunno what it is, probably the head tube angle, but it feels twitchy in corners and it just doesn't feel quite right for riding at places like Giba Gorge etc. (even my cheap Titan Comp 29er felt better in this regard).

Anyway so I'm in the market to sell that bike and get something better suited to trail/enduro riding.

So can anyone advise me on what to get for around R20k??? I'll probably get around that for my Specialized.

I've been looking this week at the the Santa Cruz Blur LT 2.3. I can get the frame brand new for 900$, and won't have to worry about import duties or VAT etc cause I have a friend coming over from the States soon who can bring it for me.

Here some links on the spec of the frame, and reviews etc.

http://www.bicycling...update?page=0,0

http://www.santacruz...feb10_LT2_O.pdf

http://www.santacruz...s.co.uk/blurlt/

http://www.santacruz...urlt/blurlt.pdf

http://www.bikeradar...e-only-09-36977

So here's my thinking it's a 26er, which means I should be able to pick up wheels and a fork for pretty cheap (in comparison to 650b or 29er).

And should be able to complete the bike for around 20k hopefully.

Is it worth it getting a 26er? I see all the new AM/Enduro bikes are going 650b/27.5 (whatever you wanna call it).

Would love to get a Santa Cruz Heckler 27.5 full build, which is 3000$, a bit pricey though.

Sorry bit of a long post, but I'm new to the enduro/am game and my knowledge is limited.

Any advice/comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Nicko

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That santa cruz looks awesome and would work, maybe ask your friend to bring a drive train and fork with as well, to save on some costs and doesn't take to much space, concealing it with bike.. (Maybe also look at Intense tracer, but im biased towards Intense, haha)

For wheel size, that's whatever you want. I ride 26", but I have no experience with other wheels sizes.

That a great bike AFAIK - I havent read the tests or ridden one though. You should look for a 130 mm to 150 mm travel bike with a slackish head angle 68 - 66 degress. . I am not sure how steep and rocky the Giba area and the rest of KZN is so maybe something more towards the 130 mm end of the spectrum would be enough. I ride a 150 mm sixer and its a treat, but many people ride and race enduros on niners down here - eg PYGA 110's. Something like a Spaz Stumpie might be the answer for you although they are apparently not as nimble in the tight stuff as shorter 26"wheeled bikes.

A good bike will help, but its all about learning the skills too. After a year, you still have a massive amount to learn about bike handling and so on, so perhaps, persevere with the Epic for a while, get some skills tuition and see how you do. With some experience and skills you'll have a better idea what kind of bike you need...

That a great bike AFAIK - I havent read the tests or ridden one though. You should look for a 130 mm to 150 mm travel bike with a slackish head angle 68 - 66 degress. . I am not sure how steep and rocky the Giba area and the rest of KZN is so maybe something more towards the 130 mm end of the spectrum would be enough. I ride a 150 mm sixer and its a treat, but many people ride and race enduros on niners down here - eg PYGA 110's. Something like a Spaz Stumpie might be the answer for you although they are apparently not as nimble in the tight stuff as shorter 26"wheeled bikes.

A good bike will help, but its all about learning the skills too. After a year, you still have a massive amount to learn about bike handling and so on, so perhaps, persevere with the Epic for a while, get some skills tuition and see how you do. With some experience and skills you'll have a better idea what kind of bike you need...

Yeah this is a 140mm with headtube angle in that range, so should be good. Giba is pretty smooth, not much in the way of rock gardens etc so you don't really need much travel, I guess what would help me would more be improved geometry rather than suspension travel.

Yeah I've still got a hell of lot to learn, but I would consider my bike skills pretty good. I finished top 30 in the enduro, and considering I was riding a 29er xc bike which is not conducive to the course, and I never pre-rode the course like the top guys, and I foolishly thought having rebound on fully fast would be a good idea (it was like a trampoline on my one run), I could have easily finished a lot higher. Not trying to be arrogant but I think my skills are decent.

Hi Nick

I bought a 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp 26'er earlier this year, got it for R13250! Super bargain, as they where listed for R27000. Maybe find out if you cant get hold of these bargains from Spez. It has 140mm travel and descent parts all round. I just love mine!

Good luck!

Also bear in mind that the only thing you're saving on by getting your mate to bring it in is shipping costs. You still pay US sales tax on the frame which is actually MORE than the vat you'd pay to customs if you brought it in the legal way and paid vat here

Also - at the moment the likes of cwc / buycycle / evobikes are actually cheaper than the US / European routes when it comes to parts and stuff (just done that exercise myself this week. USD & EURO & GBP really high right now)

So before you pull the trigger look REALLY hard at what is available locally otherwise you may just end up paying more than you need to.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Also bear in mind that the only thing you're saving on by getting your mate to bring it in is shipping costs. You still pay US sales tax on the frame which is actually MORE than the vat you'd pay to customs if you brought it in the legal way and paid vat here

Also - at the moment the likes of cwc / buycycle / evobikes are actually cheaper than the US / European routes when it comes to parts and stuff (just done that exercise myself this week. USD & EURO & GBP really high right now)

So before you pull the trigger look REALLY hard at what is available locally otherwise you may just end up paying more than you need to.

Sales tax only applies to same state purchases. If his mate ships it in from say Cali when he is in NY then it will be fine.

And buy a Morewood. :D

Sales tax only applies to same state purchases. If his mate ships it in from say Cali when he is in NY then it will be fine.

And buy a Morewood. :D

Well colour me informed! Thought that seeing it is likely to be web based, that it would include tax on any purchase.

Anyway - check out local fully first, dude. For realz

Well colour me informed! Thought that seeing it is likely to be web based, that it would include tax on any purchase.

I doubt that it changed. Last time I was in the US I was based in Connecticut and ordered camera equipment from New York. Not a single $ was paid in sales tax. As far as I know sales tax is determined by each state.

To be 100% correct.

Sales tax can only be collected if the merchant has a physical presence in the state from which the product is ordered.

The frame is "on sale" and only for sale in the US or Canada, so shipping it here is not even an option!!

I am looking local... I'm more than happy to buy something local, I'd love to support Morewood/PYGA if they're in my price range.

However if you guys did look this bike got rated 5/5 on bikeradar on a long term test, and that was before the improvements and revisions to the frame. So I think probably ranks up there as one of the best.

I've had a look around today at what's available locally, not an awful lot that I could find. Lots of oldish specialized stumpys, but I don't think they even compare to this frame from what I've read.

Anyway if anyone does see something nice, would you please post a link in this thread, I would be most thankful!!

What do you guys think in terms of building up the frame? I should be able to do a decent build for around 10-12k maybe? Using some new, some second hand parts?

Nick, if the frame is a deal and you can get it here go for it. The review is brilliant. I think William (bike shop and SC smous) down here rides one - says its so good he cant see thereason to get a bigger wheeled SC.

Guest Latent Blue

NOW THIS IS A BIKE!!!

http://www.bikes.com/stories/thunderbolt

http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/files/thunderbolt_770-H.jpg

When XC gets rowdy, the agile and playful Thunderbolt shines. With 120mm of SMOOTHLINK™ travel and 27.5” wheels, the Thunderbolt delivers a great mix of intuitive XC capabilities and pure, playful trail fun.

"The Thunderbolt is my kind of XC bike. It's got a natural feel and tackles the climbs exceptionally well. On the descents it provides the kind of small bump sensitivity usually reserved for longer travel bikes.” -Thomas Vanderham

Rocky Mountain's entire development team unanimously agreed on the need for a fun XC bike that stands on the shoulders of our dedicated XC race bikes. By understanding the attributes of race bikes, we tested andperfected the numbers to arrive at geometry that lends a more playful feeling to riding cross-country. We were able to design a short 426mm rear end on the Thunderbolt, tucking the 27.5” wheel in close to the rider for lots of maneuverability and agility. At the same time, the top tube has been lengthened from traditional Rocky Mountain designs to accommodate today's shorter stems and wider bars. Our Engineers and test-riders like Thomas Vanderham experimented tirelessly to arrive at the bike's 68.5° headtube angle, balancing the unique handling-properties of both XC and trail riding styles.

Key Features:

• No-nonsense FORM™ Alloy frame with 27.5" wheels for agile, playful handling
  • 120mm of XC-tuned SMOOTHLINK™ Suspension delivers exceptional climbing traction and a stable pedalling platform
  • ABC™ Pivots are lighter, more durable and laterally stiffer than conventional bearing systems
  • BB92 pressfit bottom bracket provides maximum lateral stiffness
  • 142mm E-Thru rear axle to increase stiffness (Thunderbolt 710 utilizes F/R quick release)
  • Internal cable routing keeps cables neatly stowed, with service-friendly ports
  • Internal “Stealth” dropper-post routing tucks the housing inside the frame for minimal clutter (with external option)

http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/files/thunderbolt_730-M.jpg

http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/files/thunderbolt_750-M.jpg