Commuting in Durban

spiderkzn

Hi,

Just commuting for first time this morning from home to work. not too bad few uphill. from Morningside to La Lucia office park, Durban. Anyone doing it? :)

not really hectic. leaving at 6am. so quiet on road. avoid the highway. :)

I live up 'that hill of horrors' so i think cycling to work is out of the question for me..especially after the latest accident

Awesome stuff. Another local commuter. :clap:

I aim to commute 3 times a week. I have managed that this week. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday. I am going in the opposite direction as you though. I stay in Greenwood Park (Redhill/Durban North region) and work in the CBD. Straight route it is 12km and 27 minutes, but I vary the route to and from work to add some hills and distance in. Aim for 20km each way in about 50min.

There is something really satisfying about commuting.

Awesome Ecko :) where on about you riding?

I'm riding along between Beachfront/King Park, then Blue Lagoon bridge, then pass Hypermarket, then continue ride throught Durban North/ Fairway, into La Lucia, then hectic uphill on Armstrong ave where I work.

For now I'm aiming every Friday (depend on weather, as I fear the weather not looking good later today?) or 3 time a month.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to commute from the Bluff to Umhlanga Rocks fairly regularly. About 30kms took me 1 hour to 1:30 hours depending on route and bicycle used. I needed a car at the office so used to drive in with bike in car and cycle home, then cycle in the next morning and drive the car home. Did that twice a week, weather permitting. Never really had too much hassle with traffic or anything like that, did find that I prefer driving along Umbilo/Sydney Road than along Fairway. Taxis, busses and trucks are predictable, those "sandton 4x4's", and the like, out Umhlanga side are scary.

Work from home now so commuting is a bit redundant but still try and get some circuits around the Bluff in the mornings.

DJ P, How do you though Bluff to central Durban? cos I've notice there is bit unsafe road issue between bluff and Durban? which road did you use?

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, new to the site.

Old topic, but anyone going from Glenwood, Berea, Musgrave to La lucia/Umhlanga areas?

spider - which route do you take exactly?

Quite keen on pavement hopping the whole way - not so keen on the tar - might give it a go sometime and see if its' for me.

I commute higher up: from Westville, through Pinetown to Giba Gorge (17km one way).

When I used to live in Ballito and worked in Springfield Park I used to commute once or twice a week (50km one way). That was an interesting trip through DBN North, Umhlanga, Verulam then Tongaat and on to Ballito - esp. in winter when it was 2hrs of riding all in the dark. But certainly made me fit :).

Shot for the reply tombeej, sounds like fun. I've plotted a route along some quiet roads where possible, a large portion of it is along the beachfront promenade which will be great. To be honest I'm not really much of a cyclist, my 2 wheel interests have generally had engines, but will give it a go and see how things go. I have a buddy that's keen to join and that will keep motivation high.

Shot for the reply tombeej, sounds like fun. I've plotted a route along some quiet roads where possible, a large portion of it is along the beachfront promenade which will be great. To be honest I'm not really much of a cyclist, my 2 wheel interests have generally had engines, but will give it a go and see how things go. I have a buddy that's keen to join and that will keep motivation high.

Here's the main commuting-focused thread here on the Hub - lots of good info in those pages :)

I used to commute from home to work (Gillitts to Pinetown) and back.. went the back roads though.. Gillitts - Kloof - Wyebank/New Germany - Pinetown.. more or less 16km there and back.. with a few uphills on the way there and a few more uphills on the way back..... I thought it was good training at time, lol.