Cyclist on N1 between John Voster and Botha

AfreekduSoet

Saw a cyclist in the yellow lane on the N1 highway at 4:45pm, kitted out, listening to music riding his mtb home.

Who is this nutter?!?!?!

(On the up, he was wearing a helmet)

i'm sorry but that is just looking for trouble! the section between John Vorster and Atterbury is extremly busy that time in the afternoon and it is bad enough to be in your car let alone on a bike!

does this guy have a death wish?

not in club kit, just in plain red and black.  Wanted to pull over and ask the idiot what he think he is doing.

Obviously 8 bits short of a byte.

I'm not in any way condoning him riding on a freeway but I reckon he got home a lot quicker than those in cars. And probably entered his house with sweat on his brow and a smile on his face... Pity more people don't use bicycles for daily transport...

Sean, pity more people don't use bicycles for transport yes....but again, where do we draw the line?  he probably went 2 or 3 off ramps.

Can I then go 4 off ramps?  Okay, what about 6?  Next thing (and I would love too!) I'll be riding from Rivonia to PTA, only 45km, perfect for morning and afternoon ride.

Also, didn't we recently have a loss of a cyclist's life on the N1???

free thinking? maybe. but just until he gets hit. and on that section of the N1 chances are very good that he will get hit. lots of taxis, lots of frustrated angry motorists, who does not think and doesn't look.

not in club kit' date=' just in plain red and black.  Wanted to pull over and ask the idiot what he think he is doing.

Obviously 8 bits short of a byte.
[/quote']

A few chips short of a Happy Meal ...

Dis sad om jouself in daardie posisie te plaas, wetende wat die uitkoms dalk kan wees en wat dit aan jou familie en vriende kan doen!

must admit, i have now twice ridden about 900m of the r21 from atlas road to the or tambo cargo area, when i turned too early.

Embarrassed

not a very clever thing to do?  

It is probably safer on the N1 at that time of day than any of the other "safer" alternative routes. But it is against the law and that is the bottom line - but so is emergency lane driving and who of you holier than thou can say you never did that (in your car).

This morning I was on my way to work going around the Waterkloofairbase going towards the R21 and a Corsa came flying past on the gravel - so much for safe cycling even with a MTB.