Indoor trainer for 29" MTB

Chris S

Indoor trainers - I'm pretty sure all of them - are made to fit a road bike, which, as luck would have it, mostly have a 700C rim size, which, also as luck would have it, is the same size as a 29" mountain bike rim.

Smoke blown away, mirrors smashed

Guest Latent Blue

Just put on slicks... or one of those orange trainer wheels...

Any specific one?

Any trainer will work. 29er wheel = road wheel so as long as you put a small slick on your rim for use with the idt, it will fit.

They're designed around road bikes, as Capricorn said. And you do NOT want to train on an idt with knobbliea

Any trainer will work. 29er wheel = road wheel so as long as you put a small slick on your rim for use with the idt, it will fit.

They're designed around road bikes, as Capricorn said. And you do NOT want to train on an idt with knobbliea

Be careful with saying any trainer will work on a 29er.... finding a trainer that works with a 142x12 through axel is pretty difficult... and my trainer that fits my road bike fine does not work with a Q/R 29er wheel - unless you downsize the tire significantly.

Certainly I would try before buying in this case....

Be careful with saying any trainer will work on a 29er.... finding a trainer that works with a 142x12 through axel is pretty difficult... and my trainer that fits my road bike fine does not work with a Q/R 29er wheel - unless you downsize the tire significantly.

trainers dont work with through-axles, or very very rarely. that's obvious from the get-go. albeit some do offer TA to QR adapters.

In terms of wheel sizes, you would be correct to mention that the tyre profile could be a problem, but i doubt it simply because there is quite a lot of adjustment at the roller to accomodate for various wheel profiles. Also, the roller has a bracket that's specific to various wheel sizes. That coupled with the roller adjustment can accomodate any up-to and in-between wheel size. We only talking millimeters here. It should work in 99% of cases, TAs excluded.

Edited by Capricorn

True. But the assumption is that a low volume slick shall be used.

As for the rear axle, 100% correct. My 135x12mm just fits in the stocks.

Have a chat with bicycle power as they have developed some adapters for the 142mm TA bikes. Pretty pricey but it is now an option.