Shimano XT M785- Gravity or syringe Bleed??

Neg

what is best- was told that the syringe will be fine by one LBS and the other said NO- gravity fed on the XT 2012 brakes. something about the syringe method damaging the Seals/diaphragm in the fluid pot?

I use a syringe, sommer straight into the caliper port, no tubes nothing....it is dangerous though and yes that LBS is right, you could potentially damage your brakes to the point where they are fubar and warranty won't cover.

Here is what I do though...note this is a ghetto bleed and not the safest way, but the quickest BUT YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFULL

1.Loosen brake lever and tilt horizontally so that bleed port points up

2.Remove pads from caliper and insert bleed block provided by shimano into caliper...might need to push pistons back a bit

3.Open port on caliper loosening the nut, dont loosen all the way, just enough for mineral oil to flow through

4.Put some shimano mineral oil in a syringe, make sure there are no bubbles and fit over nipple on caliper

5.Open port on lever, open it completely and put a driptray below...remember it should be horizontal at this point in time

6.SLOWLY push the syringe down, DO NOT FORCE OR PLUNGE DOWN QUICK...the flow should just be enough for a drop of oil to form every 1 second...ANY FASTER AND YOU WILL POP YOU BRAKES AND THEY ARE MOERTOE

7.Watch the oil coming out of the lever port, it should be a little black in the beginning and then it will turn red whilst very small bubbles surface, these are the buggers you want out of the system

8.Once the oil runs clean and bubble free, close both ports and clean lever from excess oil, remove brake block and insert brake pads

9.Open a beer, tap yourself on the back, you have just performed a ghetto bleed

PS if you are in any way unsure of any of the steps, don't do it, you could void the warranty as I said earlier and your brakes won't work

Edited by rouxtjie

You have to bleed Shimano brakes. :eek:

Only once, never again, I do it because I like it, not because I have to...hahahha

Oh and the nice thing about shimano bleed ghetto style is the oil is paint / finish friendly, you do this with dot fluid....oooo eh eh...big cockup

I looked at this whole story and decided that i dont want to risk it. i will in future once i have learned how. but for now its with the LBS that said i must gravity bleed. i also dont have time right now to sit an think.