Fork length on a 29er Frame

Morwa

Hubbers... Need some technical info please. I'm interested in a PYGA OneTen frame, but on their website they stipulate the use of a 120mm travel fork on the frame.

I have a Fox F29 CTD factory fork, but the travel is only 100mm. Can I use this fork on this frame? Any cons?

With my limited knowledge I would think that is fine! Fork length (front) is a personal preference on many frames.

The back shock (length) is more important though.

I think though that the nature and design of the Pyga frame lends it towards more travel, but to get started the 100m should be fine, you can upgrade it later?

That's my 2c.

With my limited knowledge I would think that is fine! Fork length (front) is a personal preference on many frames.

The back shock (length) is more important though.

That's my 2c.

Your 2c is wrong. Although there is space for personal preference, very few frames can handle a longer or shorter travel fork without ruining it's handling and even fewer has been designed from the off with different travel in mind.

Shock length and with it travel gets tied down in design so no room there for change. Some frames do come with two or three mounting points for the shock which will increase or decrease travel and with it alter the bike's geometry.

Going with a shorter travel fork will decrease head angle, quicken steering response, drop bb height, shorten wheelbase and steepen seat angle. A combination of which can result in a lemon depending on your preference.

Seeing as you already have the fork, I'd say go for it. Very few people notice he combined effect of the changes. If you're happy with the handling then bombs away!

Note: when changing forks (even to one of the same travel) always check axle to crown length - can have a bigger impact than pure travel.