Fixing wheels Question

Ecko_1

Glad to hear.

Something that you can do in future which I do. After you get the bike and before you ride it just go over the bike yourself. Check the shifting, the brakes etc. Just to be sure it is all working. Takes 5-10 minutes and can save lots of headaches. Just because you are so close to your LBS still check it out as the owner is probably not the one who works on your bike and has some employee that does the actual work who isn't as "close" to you.

Hopefully your bike leaves the bike shop working well.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear.

Something that you can do in future which I do. After you get the bike and before you ride it just go over the bike yourself. Check the shifting, the brakes etc. Just to be sure it is all working. Takes 5-10 minutes and can save lots of headaches. Just because you are so close to your LBS still check it out as the owner is probably not the one who works on your bike and has some employee that does the actual work who isn't as "close" to you.

This is something I generally like to do, but sometimes not practical. Might look odd to see someone dressed formal with a tie and riding with formal shoes.

Dropped the bike at the LBS this morning before work. Described what happened to the owner. He said he can fix today. When I enquired about cost he said just come pick the bike up after work. So bike will be ready after work and I will head to the LBS for a beer.

Another reason to stick with this shop. I'm always sceptical of a mechanic who doesn't drink beer. Like an IT guy who takes milk in his coffee.

So, I collected my bike after work on Friday. Wheel fixed and hanger checked. No charge despite my insistence (guy is running a business at the end of the day). To my surprise they had even fitted a new tube (I dropped my bike off with a puncture at the rear).

Walked into a big cycling chain later that same day in Umhlanga, looking for wheel options to upgrade. Only person in the shop was the lady that makes coffee. Needless to say I will never support this chain again.

So, I collected my bike after work on Friday. Wheel fixed and hanger checked. No charge despite my insistence (guy is running a business at the end of the day). To my surprise they had even fitted a new tube (I dropped my bike off with a puncture at the rear).

Walked into a big cycling chain later that same day in Umhlanga, looking for wheel options to upgrade. Only person in the shop was the lady that makes coffee. Needless to say I will never support this chain again.

Umm... Wouldn't it make more sense to support the LBS who looks after you- especialy fo big ticket items?

Umm... Wouldn't it make more sense to support the LBS who looks after you- especialy fo big ticket items?

Great post, agree with you fully.

Ecko, I might even lose some respect for you, and I have never even met you.

Ummm... I think you misunderstood my post. I collected my bike from my LBS (who I am really chuffed with). I was in Umhlanga on Saturday (mum wanted to do shopping and needed a lift) so I had some time to kill. I decided to check the wheel offerings of a big cycle chain which is one of the few shops in Umhlanga. It is this big chain shop where there were non existent staff and whom I will never support again.

I will be making all my purchases, including my upcoming set of wheels from my LBS. I am a loyal customer

Just to clarify, i was only in the chain as I had time to kill. I would rather spend an hour window shopping cycling gear than walking around Gateway looking at nonsense.

Ummm... I think you misunderstood my post.

Quite difficult to interpret in another way.

"Walked into a big cycling chain later that same day in Umhlanga, looking for wheel options to upgrade"

"Walked into a big cycling chain later that same day in Umhlanga, looking for wheel options to upgrade"

My bad...

But yes, I believe in supporting my LBS and building up a relationship with the shop. It makes things much easier once the relationship is there. I can easily drop my bike off any time and give the shop a call later and give them a heads up about what I want done. And i feel 100% happy that the work will get done and my bike will not go missing or unexpected delays.

Only saw now that you had quoted. I see the source of confusion.