Fixing wheels Question

Ecko_1

This morning I had a disastrous ride. I set out at 5am to look for some hills (as this is where I am weakest). I ended the ride with 2 punctures, 1 bent derailler, 1 broken spoke, 1 bent wheel and 1 long walk.

The derailler fortunately is not bad. A pliers will fix.

Can anyone advise what I can expect to pay to have my wheel sorted out. Its a cheapo rim that came stock with my bike. An Alex Rim alu rim of some sort. 1 broken spoke and wheel out of true a bit.

Also, are wheels just as strong and reliable after these type of repairs?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear.

It won't cost a lot but take it to a bike shop for a price. We can't really quote as we don't know the extent of the damage.

Wheel should be just as strong afterwards.

Guest DieBees

Doesnt normally cause permanent damange... I could be wrong, new spoke and to true your wheel, I would say max R 300.00

Provided the rim is not bent and you didn't cause too much damage a simple spoke with a wheel try is all you need, around R 90.

Is it a road bike ?

THe bent deraileur sounds odd.

Is it not a bent hanger ?

If it is, look for a crack , if there is no crack, find a shop with a hanger straightening tool, I am going to make a wild assumption that this is how it ended up in the spokes in the first place.

If it is the derailleur ,still get the hanger straightened.

Some background.

I had a new cassette and chain fitted last weekend. After the new parts, occasionaly the chain would slip past the highest ring on the cassette and off. This morning this happened while climbing at around 20km/h.My assumption is that the chain jamming between the cassette and wheels broke the spoke and somehow caused the wheels to bend (wheel is no true where spoke it broken).

The derailer is bent by the part that holds the 2 wheels. Its just the bottom part that is slightly bent, A pliers will make it right. The hanger looks 100% to me and the derailler is shifting fine.

I am dropping the bike off at my LBS tomorrow morning to fix the wheel. Will have the mechanic make sure nothing else is wrong at the rear. The derailler didnt go near the spokes though.

Bike is a road bike.

Doesnt normally cause permanent damange... I could be wrong, new spoke and to true your wheel, I would say max R 300.00

First indication from Republic Sport (closest to home but not my LBS of choice) is R14 for spoke and R80 to true wheel. Around R100 repair job.

Waiting for my LB owner to get to the shop to give him a call,

Some background.

I had a new cassette and chain fitted last weekend. After the new parts, occasionaly the chain would slip past the highest ring on the cassette and off. This morning this happened while climbing at around 20km/h.My assumption is that the chain jamming between the cassette and wheels broke the spoke and somehow caused the wheels to bend (wheel is no true where spoke it broken).

The derailer is bent by the part that holds the 2 wheels. Its just the bottom part that is slightly bent, A pliers will make it right. The hanger looks 100% to me and the derailler is shifting fine.

I am dropping the bike off at my LBS tomorrow morning to fix the wheel. Will have the mechanic make sure nothing else is wrong at the rear. The derailler didnt go near the spokes though.

Bike is a road bike.

I don't normally like giving advice on this forum (one either has to be worshipped, or it normally ends up in a bun fight)

I am going to say that the chain ended up between wheel and spoke because , either the derailleur limits were a bit out, or the hanger is slightly bent.

You will thank me for this, ask your LBS to straighten the hanger.

My 2c... If you overshifted into the spokes after having a new cassette fitted, I'd suggest you have a bit of a chat with your mechanic. Not setting limit screws is a bit of a rookie error.

I don't normally like giving advice on this forum (one either has to be worshipped, or it normally ends up in a bun fight)

I am going to say that the chain ended up between wheel and spoke because , either the derailleur limits were a bit out, or the hanger is slightly bent.

You will thank me for this, ask your LBS to straighten the hanger.

It (sometimes) helps if you're right.

Clearly what happened here was the OP was climbing an Alp at 20km/h. The enormous torque caused the hub to flex sideways and drove the derailleur into the spokes. From the 11t cog. Solution - new bike that can handle such immense power...

:ph34r:

Clearly what happened here was the OP was climbing an Alp at 20km/h. The enormous torque caused the hub to flex sideways and drove the derailleur into the spokes. From the 11t cog. Solution - new bike that can handle such immense power...

I am still working on my knowledge on bikes, will get there one day.

But your second explanation ,well now that's a new one.

:whistling: I wish. Was trying to get onto the 25T ring. Repair will probably be at no cost to me as the damage was caused by the limits not being set properly (although I wasnt charged for any labour for fitment).

2 lessons learned from this;

1. If something is not right, sort it out right away

2. Always carry cable ties. Luckily I had a few to tie my loose spoke.

Lessons learned from this;

1. If something is not right, sort it out right away

2. Always carry cable ties. Luckily I had a few to tie my loose spoke.

3. Find a new mechanic. If the limit screws were set correctly, this would never have happened.

Few questions.

Did you ask him to fit the new cassette whilst you waited ?

How do you transport your bike ?

Few questions.

Did you ask him to fit the new cassette whilst you waited ?

How do you transport your bike ?

Nope. I was doing weekend chores so I left the bike while i did my running around. Bike goes in the back of my car with front wheel of, chain side facing up with nothing on top.

3. Find a new mechanic. If the limit screws were set correctly, this would never have happened.

This I will not do. LBS generally looks after me. He always outprices the online stores and I dont pay labour most times. Mistake this time, but I doubt any LBS is mistake free. Also, owner is extended family.

Nope. I was doing weekend chores so I left the bike while i did my running around. Bike goes in the back of my car with front wheel of, chain side facing up with nothing on top.

Well in that case his quality control was not too good.

However, if you asked him to only put on the new cassette and he did not charge you, he probably feels he did you a favour.

If you asked him to fit a cassette and set the gears, well different story.

And no people, don't simply assume that because the bike is on his work stand it is by logic that he has to look at everything on the bike.

Edited by Wyatt Earp