Commuting from Greenstone Hill into Sandton

arabsandals

Hi all

I am planning on commuting, but would love some company (and backup). Just returned from the UK where I used to ride to work but a little nervous about traffic/safety aspects of commuting. My (and my wife's) mind would be more at ease if I had some riding buddies. There has to be at least a couple of riders either thinking about riding to work or actually riding to work from Greenstone Hill (if you don't know where that is, think Edenvale). I have a route which I think should be pretty safe http://goo.gl/3JbT0g.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the route I rode, mtb is the only way the road is hectic, but if you ride the pavements pedestrians are also a problem, I had one run in front of me on Marlboro = lost some skin and fractured ribs.

post-42191-0-10729100-1382678759_thumb.jpg

This is the route I rode, mtb is the only way the road is hectic, but if you ride the pavements pedestrians are also a problem, I had one run in front of me on Marlboro = lost some skin and fractured ribs.

Thanks for the reply! Actually, I was thinking of going down Modderfontein, hooking a right onto Pretoria Road, into Jhb rd, then Athol. Turning right into Athol Oaklands and working my way through back roads across Corlett and finally into Sandton via Pretoria Ave. I drove it this morning and seems very quiet (@ about 6:15). See the route on Google maps using the following link http://goo.gl/3JbT0g

Are you keen to give it a try? Should be fine for either road or MTB (I have both).

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys. i'm keen to try the commute. thornhill to bryanston. was going to head a similar

route to andrew64. might wait till work winds down in december and do most mornings from

next year.

hi guys. i'm keen to try the commute. thornhill to bryanston. was going to head a similar

route to andrew64. might wait till work winds down in december and do most mornings from

next year.

Let me know when you want to ride. I'll join you. What kind of times are you thinking about riding?

• 1 month later...

Rode in this morning, finally. Was pretty awesome. Anyone else living in Greenstone that's keen to ride in to Sandton, just pm me. Already have one other troep. Would be nice to have a little pelaton.

I have used this route commuting from Sandton to Kempton Park. Even did it once at 23H00. http://goo.gl/maps/2HPJN

This avoids Alax and Wynburg (which I don't like even driving through) without much extra distance.

Roads are a bit bumpy in Limbro Park, but the traffic is low.

Going east on Marlboro (going home for you), it get a bit hairy approaching, and crossing the N3. Both onramps are slip roads to the left. I find the best is to move to a right lane early, and take the primary position in the lane.

Edit: looking at it again, my commute ended in Morningside Manor, so that was quite a bit more to the east. South rd is quite narrow on the hill up to Rivonia, so maybe rather take Katherine and Grayston: http://goo.gl/maps/khrgG

Shot garyvdm. That is the route I used on the way in. Did it on my roadie. Was absolutely fine and not hairy at any point. It would probably be better to use an MTB because there's effectively pavement which you can use the whole way, just not really genteel enough for a road bike. Route home was different. Headed through back roads past Melrose arch crossing the M1 at Atholl Oaklands and then making my way along past the Norwood centre, across Louis Botha and onto Northfield followed by Modderfontein up into Greenstone Hill.

Modderfontein road traffic was completely stationery and it felt awesome to glide up the hill past the 2-4ks of gridlock, beaming from ear to ear.

Modderfontein road traffic was completely stationery and it felt awesome to glide up the hill past the 2-4ks of gridlock, beaming from ear to ear.

Ah. Yes. When I used it, it was middle of December, and so the traffic was low and fast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I am planning on continuing. Preferably with another troep...?

Andrew64 and I have started the Greenstone Hill - Sandton bus. Looking for passengers...

Archived