Cyclist shot and Merida 29er-black and white stolen-21 October 2013

Marietjie McDermott

My husband was shot(Monday night at 18:00) in the arm and his black and white Merida 29er and Garmin were stolen.The second shot was aimed directly into his face, but the.... missed!!!! It happened opposite the cemetery between Woodlands Mall and Mooikloof. My husband was shot at arm's length as he passed the suspects at high speed down the hill in Garsfontein Drive. Please be careful when you ride there. These things do not care if its busy or if its daytime. They shoot to kill.

I am very sorry to hear this - hope he heals up well.

As someone that got stabbed in a bike hijacking many years ago - PLEASE - go and get some trauma counselling - the whole family.

Totally agree. I was shot at during mine about 10 years ago. No injury about from brushes and scratches. But I made the mistake of not seeking help afterwards.

Thanx guys! YAAAA! One of the reasons that he cycles is to get rid of frustrations at work and because its his passion and he loves competition and being in nature, but now his cycling and passion becomes a worry???? How's that in S.A.?

Thanx guys! YAAAA! One of the reasons that he cycles is to get rid of frustrations at work and because its his passion and he loves competition and being in nature, but now his cycling and passion becomes a worry???? How's that in S.A.?

And probably a bigger worry for you too - because you don't have the level of control over what is happening that he does - that's why YOU need counselling too - even more important than him - and if you have kids - them too.

Your GP will be able to point you at a suitable person locally - give him/her a call.