CRC - Duties with DHL?? What should I be paying - HELP

Caerus

DHL parcel delivered already :eek: Only ordered these three days ago. Strange thing is they never asked for any money from me, I did meet them the courier in a dark alleyway :whistling:

Edited by Caerus

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DHL parcel delivered already :eek: Only ordered these three days ago. Strange thing is they never asked for any money from me, I did meet them the courier in a dark alleyway :whistling:

then it was considered an LVI, or Low Value Item.

I've had a box of 5.10s come through like that recently. Such a good day that was.. but initially, i was worried that only one shoe had come through. the box was stupid light. turns out, the new 5.10s are just that much lighter.

Edited by Capricorn

then it was detailes as a LVI, or Low Value Item.

I've had a box of 5.10s come through like that recently. Such a good day that was..

Happy days to that :clap: Just the wheelset to come, looks like that will only be next week I reckon :( I can't really complain though as I've got a "freebie" Just amazed that it was here so quick, and it takes four days for a letter to get to Durban :eek:

Happy days to that :clap: Just the wheelset to come, looks like that will only be next week I reckon :( I can't really complain though as I've got a "freebie" Just amazed that it was here so quick, and it takes four days for a letter to get to Durban :eek:

oh boy, wait till u try order from CWC who are based on Durbanville.. not even durban. good luck if it gets to cape town in 3 days... pfftt...

Another question needing clarifying please. If the commercial invoice sent to me by DHL from CRC only states that I have purchased a cassette for £40 plus postage & packaging, no mention of the wheelset I bought.

Does that mean I will only be taxed on that amount or will they open the box and see that there are wheels in there as well? Slightly confused because it says that the wheels have been shipped. Could it be that I don't get taxed on the wheelset?

I see now that the wheelset is being sent via Parcelforce and the cassette via DHL, even though I did the transaction at the same time, really weird and confusing, WTF?

So you ordered blindly from overseas without knowing the true cost of the items not factoring in the duties, VAT and handling charges??

If you had done a search of CRC or duties on the forum, you would have found all the info that you are asking... as well as been able to know the true cost of the items that you are buying as well as the best shipping method for said items...

Guess you will be paying school fees to learn the hard way...

What do I pay the postage for if I now have to pay a flipping handling fee?

Also should I rather have just gone the free delivery route for next time, its been so long since I've ordered anything from overseas.

Avoid the free delivery route - you are not issued a tracking number, and as such, you have no way of tracking or following up on the parcel.

I prefer to use the Worldwide Tracked Delivery option. Usually only takes a couple of days longer than DHL and you collect at SAPO.

So you ordered blindly from overseas without knowing the true cost of the items not factoring in the duties, VAT and handling charges??

If you had done a search of CRC or duties on the forum, you would have found all the info that you are asking... as well as been able to know the true cost of the items that you are buying as well as the best shipping method for said items...

Guess you will be paying school fees to learn the hard way...

Oh no, not at all. I've been ordering from CRC for years, even when I was living in the UK back in the early naughties, I has just never used the DHL route before, so when they called me it took me by surprise.

Re UPS as mentioned earlier:

Quote from a recent email:

"

Please note that UPS charges a disbursement fee of R105.00 or 4% of the advanced amount whichever is greater per shipment.

The Vat amount payable is also based on the declared value of the goods.

This is calculated by customs.

I hope you will find the above in order."

Edited by Brighter-Lights

I landed in this dung pile as well. The person at DHL told me that if you use normal post office shipping for items less than R3500 (like how would they know that, anyhow) then no duties or customs. But as soon as you use a private shipping company like DHL the government nails you with vat and custom duties.

For my stuff to cleat I had to dock up 75% (in total) of te package's value. I paid 900 odd to CRC for my stuff and paid an extra 700odd for customs,vat etc.

So basically now I wait two days longer for the post office and get my stuff with no extra costs...

Who takes over from Parcelforce in South Africa once it has landed, does SAPO take on the delivery? I can't blimmen remember :blush:

I landed in this dung pile as well. The person at DHL told me that if you use normal post office shipping for items less than R3500 (like how would they know that, anyhow) then no duties or customs. But as soon as you use a private shipping company like DHL the government nails you with vat and custom duties.

For my stuff to cleat I had to dock up 75% (in total) of te package's value. I paid 900 odd to CRC for my stuff and paid an extra 700odd for customs,vat etc.

So basically now I wait two days longer for the post office and get my stuff with no extra costs...

Sounds like they had done you in bigg time! I always pay a very little amount and if i divide it through my purchase its less than 16% in total so you need to investigate why you paid sooo much ! Unless you had clothing (including helmet) shipped here.

DHL even called me to ask if I was happy with the service and to also ask if the parcel was all intact and that there were no problems. I thought they were calling to tell me I owe them some monies. Nice one DHL :thumbup: :thumbup: That deserves a two thumbs up for prompt, efficient and down right good service.

Awesome news, had just tried calling customs in Jozi with no answer, and was just looking up the Paarden Eiland post office number, when lo and behold the phone rings and its the local PO to tell me my parcel will be dropped off later and I owe "x" amount - Happy Days.

Only 6 days behind the DHL parcel. Funny the the tracking stopped in Joburg though.