renting racing wheels

fishbone07

Hi Guys

I'm from OnTheFly Wheel Hire. (www.flywheelhire.co.za)

This has been a question i have asked for many years. so i decided to start the Race Wheel Hire business.

I have Partnered with HED Wheels from the USA.

One will always be able to buy second hand and new wheels at low prices.

Its the same as buying a Huyndai Atos or a Merc C63.

Both will do the job, but the research and development that goes into the technology is what sets it apart.

The typical market that i'm aiming for are:

1) the first time or AT times rider or triathlete who doesn't race enough to justify spending R25k on a set of wheels (or even R8k for that matter).

2) the rider who has a set of wheels but would like to have a different wheel for that one day / race / profile /condition.

If you looked at it this way. you do 5 main races (triathlons) a year @ R1850 rental price = R9250.

To break even on spending R25k on a set of wheels you would need to rent wheels for 2 1/2 yrs.

How many riders upgrade or sell their wheels with in the first 2 years?

When you try and sell your wheels, the hubbers want to offer you next to nothing for it. so you loose any way.

So the benefits of renting comes down to this:

1) Pick and choose from a variety of wheels for different profiles and races.

2) Try before you buy. test various options before you spend all that hard earned cash. i will refund you 1 x rental if you end up buying a set of HED Wheels.

3) Have the latest technology every time you ride.

4) never feel guilty if those wheels are just hanging in the garage.

I look forward to hearing your comments and if you feel we can upgrade or better a service, i'm open to it all.

Cheers

Sounds like a good concept, just worried specifically about Flywheels business model?

What worries you about the business model?

Rental price??

Insurance cost ??

Rental prices vary based on the combination of wheels you choose. Ranges from R1650 per set to R2100 for a 4 day rental. Also depends on how long the rental is for?

4, 10 or 17 day rentals.

Because insurance companies do not offer cover for rental products in SA, you would need to get cover from your own insurance for the rental period.

You dont have to but should the wheels be damaged or stollen you would be held liable for the replacement value.