sticky spool on rockshox reba

Hedz

hi guys. I need a bit of help iv got a rockshox reba sl fork and for some reason the spool for the pop lock is very sticky and wont pop back. I have removed the cable and its not that. removed the spool and cleaned all the dirt out yet still same problems. I usually just hit the pop lock and manually pull the cable but this is getting annoying. Iv searched other forums and tried the tricks iv mentioned but no luck, down loaded the manual but does not explain the spool mech. any help will be appreciated

You'll have to pull out and dismantle the damper - the problem you mention is usually caused by dirt getting past the seals on the lockout shaft.

You'll need a clean work environment, a 1" shaft clamp, an 24mm chamferless socket, a bit of a mechanical brain, and the knowledge that the connection between the damper body and topcap is a left hand thread.

Beyond that I'd have to start drawing pictures, but if you're reasonably mechanically minded you'll be able to work it out from there.

If you get stuck, mail me some photos and I'll walk you through the rest of it. Follow the link in my sig for details.

Edited by droo

Another possibility...

I had a similar issue, and the fork then got stuck locked out. It was then sent back to the suppliers, and the motion control mechanism (possibly just the lock out part) was changed under warranty. Apparently it is a known problem.

Edited by nickcza

99% of the time the problem is at the gate cap.

The plastic expands a little.

You need to take the cap off the floodgate.

Sand the sides gently and reassemble, quite a job if you don't know your way around .

You'll have to pull out and dismantle the damper - the problem you mention is usually caused by dirt getting past the seals on the lockout shaft.

You'll need a clean work environment, a 1" shaft clamp, an 24mm chamferless socket, a bit of a mechanical brain, and the knowledge that the connection between the damper body and topcap is a left hand thread.

Beyond that I'd have to start drawing pictures, but if you're reasonably mechanically minded you'll be able to work it out from there.

If you get stuck, mail me some photos and I'll walk you through the rest of it. Follow the link in my sig for details.

+1 on this. You don't even need to take the lowers off the stanchions or release air pressure - just remove the spool then unscrew the top cap and gently pull out the damper. Johan Bornman had a great guide with pictures on the Hub - probably worth doing a search for it.

thanks for the help guys. I see rockshox has a 2 year warranty. I bought them a year ago so ill just send them back and see what they have to say. I don't really want to fiddle just before 94.7