Rockshox Revelation RLT set up.

Pipsqueak

Pip

If this is for a RS on a yea have a chat with Cliff/Mark.

There is information out there how to setup a RS / Standard, but Pyga has changed the valving on the Monarch to fit them, which means they want it setup a bit different from the standard instructions.

Well this applies to the Shock, Fork is standard.

I also run the RCT3 Solo Air, but in a 120mm config.

PM me and I'll send you the information I have, standard docs.

G

Hunted for this topic, but no avail.

I bought a brand new Revelation 140mm 650b fork a month back and have ridden it a lot. I am a Fox user, this is my first Rockshox fork, and I have to say… It's OK, but not fantastic. But what bugs me more is that I know I haven't set it up right. Why? Because there is NO information in the product package, and NO information on the Rockshox website, which I find quite amazing - they don't even tell you what each knob does.

So, if there are any died in the wool Rockshox users out there who can help me. I am pretty happy with the big hit performance on the whole, but it's the smaller stuff that's bothering me. My Fox is nice and plush, and uses all available travel, but now I'm way down in pressure with the Revelation and I can't feel much of a difference with the compression fully on or off.

Anyone help me with a 1.2.3 type guide here? I know that the rebound adjust is at the bottom of the stanchion, and I know that there are 3 platforms at the top, with a compression knob at the top. I can ride the bike over rocks and the fork does OK, but when it hits chatter and small bumps it's not nearly as good as the Fox.

Ya, I'm going to do the oil & seals and then start again. Everyone raves about this fork, but I can't see it. Yet.

Tx.

I meant PYGA, but seems we had auto correct interfere a bit there, assume you ready it correctly.

(strange reason it's not allowing me to edit the post)

G

which 36 was it the range And What Did You Not Like

I had the Float 36 RLC (in fact I still have it, just haven't gotten around selling it). I think what frustrated me about the 36 is that lack of small bump compliance which the Revelation has an abundance of. The 36 is harsh/sticky in the first +-40% of the travel. As soon as you get through that first 40% (i.e. jumps/drops/rock gardens etc) then it becomes a lot smoother. But for normal trail riding (not talking AM here) you're most of the time playing in that sub 40% to 70% of the travel, which makes the 36 (in my opinion) not such a great trail fork. Yes for AM, it's perfect, so I guess (kinda obvious) you need to find a fork that fits the type of riding you're into. In my case more trail than AM, hence the Revelation works better for me.

I had the Float 36 RLC (in fact I still have it, just haven't gotten around selling it). I think what frustrated me about the 36 is that lack of small bump compliance which the Revelation has an abundance of. The 36 is harsh/sticky in the first +-40% of the travel. As soon as you get through that first 40% (i.e. jumps/drops/rock gardens etc) then it becomes a lot smoother. But for normal trail riding (not talking AM here) you're most of the time playing in that sub 40% to 70% of the travel, which makes the 36 (in my opinion) not such a great trail fork. Yes for AM, it's perfect, so I guess (kinda obvious) you need to find a fork that fits the type of riding you're into. In my case more trail than AM, hence the Revelation works better for me.

Makes sense. I'm pretty happy with my Revelation. Until I throw it down a Karkloof rock garden.

• 2 weeks later...

what i've found with RS forks of late ( i have the same fork as you currently, previously at the revelation RLTi, and currently also have a 2012 boxxer world cup), is that the compression damping is a bit 'light'. It was very noticable on the boxxer until i modified the shimstack to create more mid-stroke compression damping. No more diving in corners.

With the Revelation, the compression damping is not too bad, but I have increased the air pressure in the solo damper to stiffen up the fork a bit more. i prefer the fork higher in its travel. Following the air pressure increase, the fork's performance has been near-flawless. It's a bit rougher than most would like, but once you increase the speed, the trail chatter flattens itself (touch slower rebound to assist with staying off the ground as opposed to following every last undulation in the ground).

The revelation also has this somewhat odd spikey performance in the mid-stroke under high shaft speed conditions. Smash through a rock garden with multiple hits and you'll understand. A couple of other reviews also mention this. It's very minor and doesn't cause deflections in steering or cause the fork to work improperly. it's just an oddity worth mentioning.

I haven't modified the shimstack on the revelation, as I'm holding out for potential acquistion of the Pike variety. But i need convincing that the Pike is lightyears ahead of the revelation, and so far, the reviews have not been very convincing in that regard.

In my limited experience, this all makes sense to me.

I'm at the point now where I'm kind of happy with the fork, maybe its getting more supple with a few miles. Speed does make it feel better, although there are those moments in the longer rocky stuff where I feel like it needs more "houding".

But to state the obvious, because I've read this again and again, those pressure guidelines are absolute cr@p. I weigh 82kgs and I'm now down to 90psi which gives me about 25% sag. I hardly use the compression - one or two clicks, and I just set the rebound until mid sized bumps "disappear".

Now it feels closer to the kind of fork that I paid for.

But now I want more travel.